Program to play dish ehd backup on computer?

Dish recording are encrypted, you are asking about hacking and hack talk not allowed here.

But the DMCA is an illegal law since it denies us our fair-use rights to make a backup.

There is nothing stopping you from making a backup of the EHD. There are plenty of Linux utilities to allow that. What the encryption prevents is playing it back on something other than a DVR registered to you.

But the DMCA is an illegal law since it denies us our fair-use rights to make a backup.

However much we may sympathize with this statement, the courts are not overturning it, at least not yet. And I haven't heard any encouraging words.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

However much we may sympathize with this statement, the courts are not overturning it, at least not yet. And I haven't heard any encouraging words.

$ony has lots of $$$$ to spread around to help keep this from happening. :down. They did a really good job killing HD-DVD and now they (w/their partners) are doing their very best to keep DRM's in place.

DRM has strange rules. This even goes as far as the eReaders (Like Kindle, or Barnes & Noble's new Nook). You buy an eBook from Barnes & Noble. You can LEND the book from your eReader to someone else..... but only ONCE per title and only for 2 weeks? WTF? If I bought the actual BOOK I could lend it as many times as I want to whomenever I choose for as long as they need to read it.

DRM needs not only a reality check, but a leash. I'm all for protecting artists' work, but when they impose restrictions like this it's kinda defeating teh purpose of digital media in some cases.

I *DO* however agree with Dish encrypting and tying to an account. This doesn't defeat fair use in making a backup. You can still back it up. But the backup, when restored, will have the same restrictions as the original. It can only be played back on the dish equipment it was tied to.

How do providers such as Tivo allow you to save recordings on your computer if it's not legal?

I had Tivo for years, until 11/08 when I switched to Dish. Tivo created software called Tivo Desktop that allowed you to copy any recording on the Tivo and download it to your computer for viewing any time you wanted. Here's the software on Tivo's site. It states: Once you've recorded your favorite shows on your TiVo DVR, you can transfer them to your computer as long as your DVR is connected to your home network, and you have TiVo Desktop software installed on your PC.

I would regularly download shows to my computer to watch while on the treadmill. So why can't Dish do the same thing. I don't buy the 'not allowed due to the providers' excuse, it's just not true.

DRM has strange rules. This even goes as far as the eReaders (Like Kindle, or Barnes & Noble's new Nook). You buy an eBook from Barnes & Noble. You can LEND the book from your eReader to someone else..... but only ONCE per title and only for 2 weeks? WTF? If I bought the actual BOOK I could lend it as many times as I want to whomenever I choose for as long as they need to read it.

While I agree that DRM needs to be put on a short leash, I'd like to disagree with you about electronic books.

Yes, you can loan a printed version of a book to someone for as long as they need to read it. The difference with ebooks is that, if you were able to copy them, people would be making multiple copies and there would be considerably less sales of the books. If an author, and their publishers, can't make some money for their efforts there can be less desire to do the work in the first place. With less new literature to be had the price of that literature goes up. Only the rich will be able to afford to buy a book, and on and on.....

How do providers such as Tivo allow you to save recordings on your computer if it's not legal?

I had Tivo for years, until 11/08 when I switched to Dish. Tivo created software called Tivo Desktop that allowed you to copy any recording on the Tivo and download it to your computer for viewing any time you wanted. Here's the software on Tivo's site. It states: Once you've recorded your favorite shows on your TiVo DVR, you can transfer them to your computer as long as your DVR is connected to your home network, and you have TiVo Desktop software installed on your PC.

I would regularly download shows to my computer to watch while on the treadmill. So why can't Dish do the same thing. I don't buy the 'not allowed due to the providers' excuse, it's just not true.

TiVo will not let you do this with protected cablecard channels. It is a flag channels can turn on. Dish took the easy route and just encrypted everything to avoid having the hassle selectively locking content. Another reason is that Dish does not broadcast in standard resolutions with their MPEG-4. You can always get one of the component output encoders.

There is a way to do it with current software that is available on the internet.

BUT!!

It is a slow process. Very slow.
To decipher a 1 hour program takes close to 12 hours and you have to be near the computer to answer some of the pop up questions it will come up with.
Then it has to be transcoded to another codec, that takes about 4 hours.

And this is with a 3.5 GHZ quad core system with 8 Gb of memory.

You also loose some of the quality in both the deciphering and the transcoding.

It really isn't even worth the time or effort.

A better idea would be to go buy yourself a nice set top dvd recorder and directly record your shows as you watch them from you dishplayer.

But with all the avenues that are available to get legal downloads of shows and video's, why would you want to make a physical backup. The age of watch what you want, when you want is right at out doorstep. Within the next year or two it will be pretty much mainstream.

Very soon it will be at the point to where if you want to watch episode 30 of I love Lucy, just click on it and it will stream to the TV or computer whenever you want.

DRM is a idea thats big in the US and Japan, but in many parts of the world it is considered illegal. Not because they don't want to protect the copyright holder but because it impedes on the individuals right to use the product as they wish. In these countries a compromise was offered to many big corporate publishers and studios, that they could sell their products as a lease to consumers, but they couldn't ever use the word "own" when trying to sell it or even to imply that a customer had ownership of the item in any way. It had to be spelled out 100% they were merely using the "property" for a specific purpose. The studios refused and DRM was not allowed to go into mass use in those countries.

Yes, except that you shouldn't have to spend ~$200 and the length of the recording when it's already on the disc in digital form.

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- Dish, DirecTV, and the cable companies should all have stood up for the consumer and refused to encrypt content. The studios would then have had no choice if they wanted anyone to watch their product.

The material that you are talking about is SD and maybe even analog. JSo the rules are a bit different but I feel we should be able to make a direct digital copy of the material. Even if it is HD.

The Hauppauge 1212 records in HD from component cables.

real time

The Hauppauge 1212 records in HD from component cables.

I can do that now in real time if I get a black magic design PCI card in my PC. I feel the big problem is I don't want to have to do everything in real time. I want to do a file transfer then watch it when I want.

There is a way to do it with current software that is available on the internet.

BUT!!

It is a slow process. Very slow.
To decipher a 1 hour program takes close to 12 hours and you have to be near the computer to answer some of the pop up questions it will come up with.
Then it has to be transcoded to another codec, that takes about 4 hours.

And this is with a 3.5 GHZ quad core system with 8 Gb of memory.

You also loose some of the quality in both the deciphering and the transcoding.

It really isn't even worth the time or effort.

A better idea would be to go buy yourself a nice set top dvd recorder and directly record your shows as you watch them from you dishplayer.

But with all the avenues that are available to get legal downloads of shows and video's, why would you want to make a physical backup. The age of watch what you want, when you want is right at out doorstep. Within the next year or two it will be pretty much mainstream.

Very soon it will be at the point to where if you want to watch episode 30 of I love Lucy, just click on it and it will stream to the TV or computer whenever you want.

DRM is a idea thats big in the US and Japan, but in many parts of the world it is considered illegal. Not because they don't want to protect the copyright holder but because it impedes on the individuals right to use the product as they wish. In these countries a compromise was offered to many big corporate publishers and studios, that they could sell their products as a lease to consumers, but they couldn't ever use the word "own" when trying to sell it or even to imply that a customer had ownership of the item in any way. It had to be spelled out 100% they were merely using the "property" for a specific purpose. The studios refused and DRM was not allowed to go into mass use in those countries.

Can you PM me this information? I'd like to attempt it some time at least with content that was never encrypted on cable. I used to transfer from my cable box over firewire all the time. Now I have Dish and EVERYTHING is encrypted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts