Programming access fee

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gman26

Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have two DVR receivers. I have an ethernet connection for one, but not the other. I was going to run a phone cable under my house to get to this receiver but that proved problematic. Instead, I can run a phone cable across the floor but don't want to leave it out because of kids, etc. Is there a way to program the update so I don't have to leave the cable out? If so, how many times would I have to do this a month to negate the programming access fee?

I have two DVR receivers. I have an ethernet connection for one, but not the other. I was going to run a phone cable under my house to get to this receiver but that proved problematic. Instead, I can run a phone cable across the floor but don't want to leave it out because of kids, etc. Is there a way to program the update so I don't have to leave the cable out? If so, how many times would I have to do this a month to negate the programming access fee?

Alternative fix for this would be to get a cheap wireless bridge and hook that into the other receiver. This is of course assuming you have a wireless router.

Constantly. The checks are seemingly quite random and frequent.

I did find this thing under Preferences-Updates that has a scheduled timing for the update. I was just wondering how many times must you update before Dish waives the fee. I'm not going to call them because their customer support is utterly worthless and often misleading.

I was just wondering how many times must you update before Dish waives the fee.
Every time they send a ping via satellite, your receiver must eventually respond. There are no limits.

When they say "continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line" they mean CONTINUOUSLY.

Understand that your receiver knows whether or not it is connected to a phone line. There is an icon on the info page (box c) that shows you the state.

If you have a receiver with an ethernet port in the back you can connect an internet connection and have the fee waived as well. As stated already, wireless works - you just need the right hardware and a short Cat5 cable. The you can go to the receiver and setup the automatic ethernet configuration and you should be good to go. It's not too hard, but more complicated than a beginner might like. We can probably walk you through something if you get stuck.

What 2 models of receivers do you have?

It tries to call out at least once per month and there's no way for you to know when as it's obviously not information that is given out.

After you hook up the phone line, go to menu 6-1-4 and check phone settings. make sure if you have a prefix (*99 with vonage etc;) to dial out that you put it in there and check touch tone, assuming you have touch tone service, then select done. (NOTE: DO NOT PUT YOUR AREA CODE IN AS A PREFIX).

Next you're on the installation menu, press 0 one time to get to the system setup screen and choose "diagnostics" should be 3 for most receivers, 2 for 612's. Select Connection. If says "phone connection ok" select dial out and you ought to be good at that point.

Also be aware that you don't have to run a phone line to each receiver, you could very well get a DishCOMM plugin if you have ViP receivers or a Phonex wireless phone jack with up to 6 phone extenders and do it this way. They both use the electricity in your home to send phone/internet signals into the receivers.

Hope this gives you a better understanding.

Keep in mind that it will not automatically come off. The fee will be waived off the NEXT months bill if connected continuously and properly. It is not a pro-rated charge/credit deal.

keep it mind, that it takes about two months for the fee to dissappear. they say it will call back to dish and the fee will go away, but thats not entirely correct. you may have to go to diagnostics in the menu, call out and 'send status to dish' and THEN wait at least one month, maybe two for4 the charge to go away.
edit: i see dishguise beat me to it, on that note. but as he said a phonex, or dishcomm would be a nice fix as well, and sometimes, if you're lucky, you can talk dish into sending you a free phonex.

My 322 calls about once a month. On the other hand, my 625 calls home every night. Maybe it's homesick or just lonely, but every time I check Last Call-Out it's always that day's date. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

My 322 calls about once a month. On the other hand, my 625 calls home every night. Maybe it's homesick or just lonely, but every time I check Last Call-Out it's always that day's date. Otherwise, it works perfectly.
maybe i'm just lazy. ive been a dish customer for over 6 years, lived in at least as many houses, and to this day my 625 still isnt hooked up to a phone.

OP can sign up for dish dvr advantage with either a 24 month commitment or credit card autopay with paperless billing. Either approach gets him dish dvr advantage and with that they will waive one instance of the tv2 connection fee. since he already have one connected to phone or ethernet, the remaining fee will be waived.

you can purchace wirless phone jacks. for phone connection. $50 at Menards store, or check on line. Easey to install and will save $ 5 a month. whith first year it will pay it self off..

OP can sign up for dish dvr advantage with either a 24 month commitment or credit card autopay with paperless billing. Either approach gets him dish dvr advantage and with that they will waive one instance of the tv2 connection fee. since he already have one connected to phone or ethernet, the remaining fee will be waived.
DVR advantage has nothing to do with phone fee and does NOT require a new commitment regardless of payment method.

DVR advantage has nothing to do with phone fee and does NOT require a new commitment regardless of payment method.

DVR Advantage does waive the connection fee if the primary receiver is a dual tuner receiver. See the link below under Monthly Receiver Charges:

DISH Network - Customer Service - 1.888.825.2557

DishDVR Advantage Customers : Monthly Receiver Charges

Your first Duo receiver connection is FREE for two TVs with DishDVRAdvantage

DVR Advantage does waive the connection fee if the primary receiver is a dual tuner receiver. See the link below under Monthly Receiver Charges:

DISH Network - Customer Service - 1.888.825.2557

DishDVR Advantage Customers : Monthly Receiver Charges

Your first Duo receiver connection is FREE for two TVs with DishDVRAdvantage

That's what they may say, but they have tried to charge me twice for it.

this would really be much easier to resolve if we knew what MODEL the receivers were. If they both VIP's......the use of Dishcomm is possible at no additional cost (usually).

That's what they may say, but they have tried to charge me twice for it.

you don't work there so you don't know. to get dvr advantage you have to sign a 24 month commitment or get credit card autopay with paperless billing. their loyalty department might do differently but the above is normal offer.

you don't work there so you don't know. to get dvr advantage you have to sign a 24 month commitment or get credit card autopay with paperless billing. their loyalty department might do differently but the above is normal offer.
No. People here have been switching to DVR advantage for years without commitment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)