Programming Cost

lawman1627

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ok, I have been out of the loop for a while, here is my current setup AEP, $9.99 HD Pak, locals, 4 prem movie channels and 3 extra recieves. I am on the fence if it would be worth while to upgrade to a 622. I checked out dishnetwork.com, and maybe a missed something but it looks like it is going to cost me more to get all the HD channels that are out there. I thought that with the metal paks (if they still hve them) that the cost would have ended up being about the same, which is $119 including taxes, thanks.

Ok, I have been out of the loop for a while, here is my current setup AEP, $9.99 HD Pak, locals, 4 prem movie channels and 3 extra recieves. I am on the fence if it would be worth while to upgrade to a 622. I checked out dishnetwork.com, and maybe a missed something but it looks like it is going to cost me more to get all the HD channels that are out there. I thought that with the metal paks (if they still hve them) that the cost would have ended up being about the same, which is $119 including taxes, thanks.

Lawnman,

First off AEP includes the 4 premium channel suites, they are NOT extra, which was implied by your post.

The Old HD pack was indeed $9.99, but the current HD add on is now $20, which includes a number of additional HD channels. On August 15th, all the VOOM channels you are now getting will no longer be available with YOUR older NON MPEG4 receivers.

Under the new packages you would pay an additional $11.01 per month plus a VIP622 Lease fee of $6.00 per month. So for an additional $17.01 per month you will continue to get the VOOM channels as well as get all the new HD channels (Discovery HD *Simulcast of the regular Discovery channel*, History HD, Animal Planet HD, TLC HD, MHD, VS/Golf HD, Science Channel HD) plus the current MPEG4 HD channels you now NOT getting (NFL HD, Universal HD, National Geographic HD, HGTV HD, FOOD HD, also StarzHD, and Cinemax HD).

Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth it but, you will get to keep the VOOM channels (Which would be no longer available with your current Equipment after August 15th) as well as get 14 more HD channels than you current do all for $17.01 more than you are paying now.

Lastly there is an FREE upgrade deal at the moment with a $200 Rebate (That is 10 months of the $20 HD add on for free). During September Dish Network is suppose to add an additional 5-7 HD channels as well, with your current programing plan they would all be included for FREE.

John

Last edited:
I did the upgrade to the 622 in March. I had the same package you have now - AEP + locals and the 9.99 HD pack(the original one without VOOM). My bill went up 10.00 a month (not counting the initial cost of upgrading the receiver) for the additional HD channels. I really enjoy the extra HD content and am looking forward to more in the coming months.
I believe the dish'n it up offer right now for the upgrade is $149.00 upfront cost with a $100.00 rebate. This offer is supposed to change on Aug 15 with the addition of more HD channels and the release of the new ViP722 receiver. I'm guessing that the net cost for the 722 is going to be more.

To me it was worth it. Being a huge football fan, I now have NFLHD, ESPN2HD, and my regional sports network in HD as well as STARZHD and CinemaxHD.

I am going to wait to do any upgrades till they come down on the 722 price for a lease similar to what the 622 is now. TIll then I will use external hard drives for both of my 622s to get me up there on hard drive size.

I did the upgrade to the 622 in March. I had the same package you have now - AEP + locals and the 9.99 HD pack(the original one without VOOM). My bill went up 10.00 a month (not counting the initial cost of upgrading the receiver) for the additional HD channels. I really enjoy the extra HD content and am looking forward to more in the coming months.
I believe the dish'n it up offer right now for the upgrade is $149.00 upfront cost with a $100.00 rebate. This offer is supposed to change on Aug 15 with the addition of more HD channels and the release of the new ViP722 receiver. I'm guessing that the net cost for the 722 is going to be more.

To me it was worth it. Being a huge football fan, I now have NFLHD, ESPN2HD, and my regional sports network in HD as well as STARZHD and CinemaxHD.

Thanks, just what I was looking for, I hate not being able to get all the HD channels, I will be calling this week to see what they can do for me.

Can I get an estimated price quote on AEP w/Dish Advantage and HD. I tried Dish Builder but it didn't appear to clear to me on what I'd actually end up paying for all this.

I'm presently on Dish Advantage 250 w/HD and HBO. I have 622, multi-sports pack and my bill is about $104 with taxes and everything. My rebates are about done (still have DHPP for a few months).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts