Programming / DVR question

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
I was installed a few days ago. (942 + 811 w/180 + Showtime + HD + Voom). I have never had a DVR, so I am trying to think of ways that I will want to use it. I usually don't have a movie channel package, but I went with one this time because I figured I could find some movies that I like, then record them. Is it just me? I can't seem to find a whole lot on Showtime that is worth recording. Am I missing something with Showtime? So far, I am not impressed with them. I don't want to get all of the movie packages, but I might sign up for more than one if they were both worthwhile. I am not into the Sopranos or series like that.

My question is: Which movie package is best for recording movies? I realize this depends on what kind of movies one likes. Let's say I want to record blockbusters and a few kid's movies. I want variety. Starz? HBO? HBO + Cinemax? HBO + Starz? Starz + Cinemax?

I realize that there is no right answer- Just looking for opinions of what people like, and why.

Thanks.

-k

I agree with you about Showtime (the only movie package I've got).

I added it a few years back just for Stargate SG-1, and they've barely been able to keep me since they dropped SG-1. Odyssey 5 (cancelled), Jeremiah (cancelled), and now Penn & Teller. But $10/month for one show and a rare movie that I care about is starting to get old.

I've tried Showtime, Starz, HBO and Cinemax and IMHO Showtime was the worst. I currently have HBO and Cinemax and I'm not too thrilled either. At least HBO has some series and boxing, other than that I haven't seen too many new movies in the last 3 months or so.

A good movie channel? And at no extra fee? How about TCM? Nonstop movies from the 30s to the 50s (and some later) when they made great movies without having to warn parents that the kids shouldn't see them.

JohnP

Instaed of paying the extra fees each month for the Monie packages i.e. HBO?CINEMAX $17.00 I believe, how about just a pay=per-view each week. I always check the last chance channel first. $1.99 all the time.

wobbie said:
Instaed of paying the extra fees each month for the Monie packages i.e. HBO?CINEMAX $17.00 I believe, how about just a pay=per-view each week. I always check the last chance channel first. $1.99 all the time.

I was under the impression that you couldn't record PPV on the DVR. Can you?

-k

klen said:
I was installed a few days ago. (942 + 811 w/180 + Showtime + HD + Voom). I have never had a DVR, so I am trying to think of ways that I will want to use it. I usually don't have a movie channel package, but I went with one this time because I figured I could find some movies that I like, then record them. Is it just me? I can't seem to find a whole lot on Showtime that is worth recording. Am I missing something with Showtime? So far, I am not impressed with them. I don't want to get all of the movie packages, but I might sign up for more than one if they were both worthwhile. I am not into the Sopranos or series like that.

My question is: Which movie package is best for recording movies? I realize this depends on what kind of movies one likes. Let's say I want to record blockbusters and a few kid's movies. I want variety. Starz? HBO? HBO + Cinemax? HBO + Starz? Starz + Cinemax?

I realize that there is no right answer- Just looking for opinions of what people like, and why.

Thanks.

-k
What's nice about HBO and Showtime is that you also get the HD channels for those two, at no additional charge.
If you're new the movie channels then you may not know some are associated with each other and often share the same programming from time to time.

Examples:
HBO and Cinemax
Showtime and The Movie Channel
Stars and Encore.

As for any particular new movie you never know which of these groups will get exclusive rights to it.

I find that the AT180 movie channels are sufficient for me, although the occasional preview weekend is a great time to load up on movies to watch later.

If I had to choose a premium package, it would be HBO. There are a lot of good kid shows on HBO Family.

Klen - As stated above, you can record PPV to the DVR. Then I output to my VCR and save the movies.

I cancelled Showtime this morning. I went with HBO and Cinemax. It is $17/month for both PLUS a $10 rebate for each of the first 3 months. $7/month? No brainer. Anyone interested needs to sign up before 5/31.

-k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)