Programming question...

mattnstacy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
Well, I got Dish installed yesterday. Have some questions.

1) I live in southeastern Wisconsin and absolute NEED to have FoxSportsNet North (Brewer fan). I was told originally that if I got the 60 plus Locals package that FSNN would be available to me since Milwaukee is considered my "local" area (even though I'm an hour away and only a half hour from Madison-this is a whole other complaint). Well, I was able to find that station (436) but the Brewer game was blacked out. So I called again and this person told me I needed to get the multi-sport package. I had her add it and then I was able to see the game on one of the alternate channels (445). Since I never had any blackout issues with FSNN on my cable system, this has me worried. Is the multi-sport package the only way I'm going to get these "alternate" sports channels. I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to see all the games that are broadcast on FSNN.

2) Due to many large trees on the south-southwest side of my house, the installer had to put the dish in my lawn on the north-northeast side of my property. And due to length of traveling cable he said the best way to do it was to put the 625 in my utility room (origination of coaxial cable) and send two lines out to the living room and bedroom (1 and 2 respectively). The 311 is in the basement. Since I have PIP capabilities on my living room tv (1), I would like to utilize it. The installer said that it probably wouldn't work with the 625 not connected right to it (I bought an extra remote so I have 2 UHF remotes for the 2 tvs). Is that correct? Since they left w/o an orientation I don't really know what I'm doing. My living room tv is on the opposite side of the house as the dish and he would've had to run cable all over the place to put the 625 on the living room tv. I wasn't too keen on that.

Any help in these areas would be appreciated.

Fox Sports Net North is on 436 but that channel carries the MN sports. All WI sporting events are carried on one of the 6 alternate channels. Those channels are 445 - 451. Tonights Brewers game is on 445.

So your RSN is 436 inless a MN team is playing then it is blacked out. When a WI team is playing they are on one of the ALT channels. The CSR was wrong.

You should get all the WI games on the ALT channels with 60 PLUS package. I get all the ALT channels and I don't subscribe to any Sports Package....

On the cabling, I would have done anything to get the IRD's next to the TV's. The picture quality of the RCA/S-VHS connections are 1000 times better than the RF outs, including Stereo sound.

Forgive me, I'm acronym challenged. I'm assuming you mean you would have done anything to get the receivers next to the tv?

Yes, that's what he meant. :)

IRD (Integrated Receiver Descrambler) is an acronym from the BUD (Big Ugly Dish - a/k/a (Also Known As) C-Band) days. :D

Originally, home satellite TV reception required as many as 3 separate boxes. Receiver, descambler, and positioner (mover/aimer).

So I'm assuming I still need to have the box at the TV where I have the PIP capabilities? Can I send the two feeds from the 625 to the same tv and use the PIP with a UHF remote? My house is finished off so it's kinda tough.

the 625 has pip capabilities built in, just push the "mode" button on the front of the receiver, and put it in "single mode" then you can do pip with the remote through the receiver, not the tv

Can I do that if the receiver is in a remote location? There's a dual feed to the 625, then a single coaxial feed to the TV with PIP.

One more question. If the above is all possible, I'll have the 625 controlling 1 TV. Will I still be able to record one show and watch another?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts