Programming under Windows 7

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
There is a chance that I will soon have to freshen up my programming skills. Boss wants to experiment with netbooks or tablets for form filling at customer sites and perhaps remote transmitting of data to the office. This would be more a proof of concept than a polished product.

Last bit of programming I did was with ADA, Pascal and COBOL. Never did much with C or the variants. I doubt that any of these are available today, are they?

Am I down to looking at Access? Could Crystal Reports manage such a task and run on such minimal HW? Other options? Or is this whole idea DOA as that ship has sailed, replaced entirely by code houses with fancy support tools? (break my heart)

Last bit of programming I did was with ADA, Pascal and COBOL. Never did much with C or the variants. I doubt that any of these are available today, are they?
I know a gal who came out of retirement and is writing COBOL from home 32-hours per week for the banking/finance industry and making close to 200K. Likewise, I am still in contact with all my former mainframe buddies...only problem is they are all 45+, large mainframe system keep right on chugging, and the colleges and universities aren't growing students with these skills any longer.

I know a gal who came out of retirement and is writing COBOL from home .... and making close to 200K.

Got her number? ;)

(Just joking, dear, just joking....)

The guys I knew that returned to the workforce for Y2K COBOL work were pretty much back on the golf course full time around 2002. Congrats to her for making it work for this long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)