Project Draco, any update

Highly doubtful. I've been waiting years myself to see something produced from either DirecTV or Dish but both have really dropped the ball on this game. The only real option you have is either a couple HD-PVR boxes (add in the requirement for a few HD capable Dish boxes and the fees they come with) or some 'less legal' methods out there.

My gameplan so far is if the budget ever allows me to get a serious HTPC setup going with full extender coverage around the home I'm gonna drop Dish and go back to cable because that is really the only straightforward implementation these days. Now that Microsoft has lifted their OEM-only requirement on cablecard tuners, cablelabs has opened their rectal sphincters a bit, and a number of manufacturers are hitting the ground running with cablecard tuners (Cedia has their internal 3+ tuner solutions and HDHomeRun is working on their own networked cablecard tuner, both fully W7MCE compliant of course).

I'm running XBMC as my main HTPC right now, but it's not on a dedicated pc. During the next year, if E* doesn't figure out a way to jump on a potentially profitable market segment, I'll be dropping them and moving to internet as well.

It seems that E*, and D* for that matter, have a golden opportunity here. Instead of people making the decision to go for dish, cable, or internet, they can work with other groups to make it easier for people to have internet (HTPC) AND dish or cable. They should take away the thought in consumer's minds that this is an EITHER/OR proposition. Work with Microsoft, work with the other developers to come up with add-ons or plug-ins so people can look the internet to supplement their content provider instead of replacing them.

I don't know, just seems like a big ball being dropped here.

I don't know, just seems like a big ball being dropped here.

Which is why Google is swooping in and coming out with GoogleTV! Getting E* and D* to do anything like this has failed. And I think they have pretty much made up their mind that it's going no where. So instead Google is bringing a box and software to unify everything.

CEDIA starts next week and Dish is on the exhibitor list so we will see if they show a new DVR with Google TV or less likely Draco.

I'd prefer Draco, but a new DVR with 3-4 tuners would also work nicely.

CEDIA starts next week and Dish is on the exhibitor list so we will see if they show a new DVR with Google TV or less likely Draco.

I'd prefer Draco, but a new DVR with 3-4 tuners would also work nicely.

Right now I'd just be happy with a box that has a decent interface and isn't a unitasker. That's the whole reason I have been enticed in setting up a W7MC based HTPC because everything I want and need is right there under the hood with one of the most sought after features being a DVR with intelligence! (mix and match of sources and the scheduling engine is smart enough to see that X channel is available on sat, cable, and OTA across a selection of installed tuners and can schedule recordings appropriately).

The 922 would be lovely if they could just iron out the last of the bugs and drop the high entry price IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)