protecting my equipment?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
:) well with my new dish1000+ and new VIP622. i want to use more cation in my tinkering. is there any thing i should avoid so i don't blow a switch or receiver up. i shut the power off when connecting switches. the receivers are on computer power/surge supplies. everything is grounded to the truck and electrical. so i guess I'm more concerned with connecting the power input in the wrong place or the power input of the DP44 into my pansat. or a bad combination of switches? any advice in these areas? thanks!

I'm not sure if you were serious about the truck or not.

The only thing I can think of is grounding. You said everything is grounded, but if you have 2 grounding points for your home and they are not connected to each other, a voltage could exist between the two and possibly causing damage. But I would have to pull out my NEC book from the 70's and read it again.

And keep in mind, surge supressors go bad after about a year of use, yes they will still pass power, but after about a year, the amount of protection they offer is almost 0, due to repeated spikes they get 'used up' due to the way they work, it is better to use UPS devices instead of surge supressors for prized equipment.

:) i did not think they got used up unless it actually blows. I'm going to change them all asap! i have a 10 gage ground wire from the truck to the trailer already. when i posted this i was meant connecting the wrong switches together. or to wrong equipment. i have learned the birddog gets fried on dpp. and a legacy doesn't mix with dp or dpp. are there any combinations that will actually hurt or blow out a switch, meter or receiver?

hobojoe said:
:) i did not think they got used up unless it actually blows.

They use MOVs, (metal-oxide varistor), as surges occur, large or small, the MOV's potential to fail increases, and since power strips don't provide a way of knowing if the device can handle a surge, it will either work or not, on top of all that, when they fail, the MOV can burn up, and a hot spot could ignite a fire.

Last edited:
a fire o-my-god!!! OK I'm going to spend the $300 and get a whole house surge protector that's out side. sounds safer and cheaper than having 10x$25=$250. but back to the dish network switches are there any combination of dish network equipment i would want to not connect to geather because they will harm one another (ie; connecting the power input of the DP44 into a DP switch or a meter?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)