PS3 loses main PS2 chip - EU bids farewell to real PS2 compatibility before launch

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
Sony literally showed its middle finger to Europe by removing the main onboard PS2 chip from PS3 and switching to 'emulation' for PAL games - this admittedly will result limited backward compatibility.
It seems Sony's financial hemorrhaging finally initiated a long overdue panic mode among the pompous corporate @ssholes at the top of Sony but apparently they are still unable to grasp the scale of the damage, the effects of their failed actions hence this utterly idiotic step (removing EE but keepeing GS and still BSing about its consequences).

Let's sum it up: so the PS3 will be sold at higher price yet will be crippled in the EU but Sony still flat-out declines to clearly state the number of supported PS2 PAL games before the launch.
Nice job, losers, way to go (down)!

Here's their still arrogant though truly pathetic answers to the outrage they caused: http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=293

Ohh well, what can you say? Looks like the European folks are not going to be happy. I guess they have two choices. Take it or leave it.

ummmm they took out the hardware chip because everything is done by software now, they will still have backwards compatability. also as far as everything I have read, they are still going to have alot for backwards compatiablity..........but to follow what you are saying t2k-dont buy microsoft xbox 360, because it has this same feature here.

The problem is that Sony removed the chip only in the PAL units. This means that all PS3s sold so far (Japan/North America) have full backwards compatibility. Only the European PS3s have had the chip removed, so far.

Bad PR move by Sony. At least they dropped the bomb before launch.

I agree with you that they should have kept things the same as north american market since they started the process here, but also, They are trying to keep costs down and see that probably (I am not sure just assuming here, but you know what happens when people assume) people are playing ps3 games, and not really playing ALOT of ps2 games just the big ones like God of War, shadow of the collosus stuff like that.

I think the european ps3s will have a higher price tag than US and Japan. Those folks are not understanding sony shaving the fat off the ps3 and raising the price in there region. It's bad enough, they are still waiting to play the ps3 while the rest of the world has it.

perhaps the software emulation has reached the point where the chip is no longer needed. I would imagine the next revision in NA will probably lose the chip as well.

From what I read they are also trying to do upconversion of Ps2 games with software, that way it will open the door to alot more. and they wont be confined by the hardware limitations.

Before the PS3 launch in North America Sony announced that they would be removing these chips. The end solution was always to be an emulator. And since that emulator also alows for upconverting of PS2 and PS1 games that should be a good thing.

Besides, I did not purchase the PS3 to play PS2 games (although I enjoyed the Star Wars Legos with my daughter during XMAS-then she took it home) I made the purchase to play PS3 games and I have my dollars waiting for Motorstorm right now. The Oblivion later this month.

so whats the thinking on the chip if i wait will the price of the ps3 come down eventually or would it be better to buy one now so it works with more of the ps2 games. From what i read i guess that chip not being in there will save them a lot of production cost's

I dont know if you will see a price drop Soon, no one knows for sure....also from what I have read Sony wants 100% backwards compatiable with software, but only time will tell that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)