navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
For those of you using your PS3 to play movies:

How well does it perform certain routine functions? For example, when you press the FF "search" function- is the movement onscreen smooth, or does it "capture" a frame every now and then and display it? How fast can you speed up the action while you're watching? I ask because one of the Sony DVD players I have has only two FF "search" speeds, neither very fast. An older one I had did not display smooth action, it just popped up a frame every once in a while. Very jerky. Yet my JVC DVD player goes up to 5 or 10x.

And when you hit pause, does it stop where expected, and deliver a stable (not shimmering) image?

If you stop the play, and turn off the player, will it restart the movie where you left off when turned back on? Or is this what bookmarks are for?

And does it behave the same for DVDs as for BDs?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

For those of you using your PS3 to play movies:

How well does it perform certain routine functions? For example, when you press the FF "search" function- is the movement onscreen smooth, or does it "capture" a frame every now and then and display it? How fast can you speed up the action while you're watching? I ask because one of the Sony DVD players I have has only two FF "search" speeds, neither very fast. An older one I had did not display smooth action, it just popped up a frame every once in a while. Very jerky. Yet my JVC DVD player goes up to 5 or 10x.

And when you hit pause, does it stop where expected, and deliver a stable (not shimmering) image?

If you stop the play, and turn off the player, will it restart the movie where you left off when turned back on? Or is this what bookmarks are for?

And does it behave the same for DVDs as for BDs?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

FF goes to 120x. Sound up to 1.5x. Up to some speed (at least 10x) the picture is fully viewable. After that it still is viewable (I think it is showing some video but skipping every so often to another section). Pause shows a stable image. After stopping it will restart close to where it was stopped (a few frames earlier sometimes) until you power off. After power off it has lost its position. No real difference with DVD

Last edited:
The PS3 has several FF/Rev speeds. I don't use then often since we usually dedicate time to watch a specific movie, but I recall 1.5x, 10x, and much faster. Other than 1.5x and may 10x, it appears the PS3 displays an occasional frame...same as the E* 622.

Pause works when pressed and displaye a steady frame on the screen.

Both of my PS3s restart the movie where it left off. Of course, this is a configurable option in the setup menus. Speaking of...the best part of the PS3 BD player is the software downloads and configuration options for sound, video, etc.

I have only watched a few DVDs on the PS3 and all DVD functions appear to be identical.

Make sure you get the Bluetooth remove, $24.95 or less.

The only weakness I see in the PS3 as a BD player is the remote. I like the bluetooth remote working wirelessly and not IR so you do not have to see the PS3. But, I found the button layout hard to use. I have trouble working in the dark since it does not have a conventional layout. But, the player makes it easy, it starts and stops, ejects/loads very fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts