PTAT- couple more ? from HWS Newbie

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
I got my purchased HWS/SJ installed setup and activated on Saturday! Thanks to all who helped me with all the questions I had last week. This is so much different than the 722Ks and really slick. Can't believe how well the wife is picking up on UI which is a real plus.. I know that everyone is in H3 fever mode but I would like to make sure of a couple things. I don't like to assume ;).

1. I set up PTAT to start monday (last night). Prior to last nights PTAT I went into the guide and did a "save series" on 4 shows I wanted from the 12 that were going to record (a shortcut a member told me about). I checked today and I see that the 4 are showing up under the "My Recordings" tab. Can I assume that this means that they have been saved to my partition of the HDD and will stay there past the 8 day default? I see that they are still showing up over in the PTAT folder and that's the reason for the question.

2. If I am doing "save series" on all the shows I want during PTAT for on going series, is there any reason to have or keep the default of 8 days? Seems to me that I could cut that down to like 4 days if everything in Question 1 is true..

Again, thanks to everyone for their help in getting my going, Gerry

PS: I know that this is my first experience with the UI of the Hopper but as of right now I could care less if they ever come out with the CUI for the HWS ;).

1: Correct.
2: Depends on your viewing habits. I like the 8 day rotation, if I miss/don't record a show one week, the next airing is often the reminder to go back and watch/save the prior week.

1. Yes If you saved the series it will show up in the my Recordings section and will not auto erase.
2. I leave mine on the 8 days in case i change my mind on something.

1: Correct.
2: Depends on your viewing habits. I like the 8 day rotation, if I miss/don't record a show one week, the next airing is often the reminder to go back and watch/save the prior week.

JM42 & dennispap, good point on the 8 day. Also if a new show comes on that you might have missed setting up it gives you more time to catch it..
Thanks, Gerry

An added wrinkle - especially if you also use OTA, sometimes it works to disable a single night of PTAT, in order to get what you want recorded. For example, I disable Sunday night, so that there's no conflicts with with Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and Downton Abbey.

Enjoy it. My wife still has problems figuring it out even after getting close to 20 years with Dish.

An added wrinkle - especially if you also use OTA, sometimes it works to disable a single night of PTAT, in order to get what you want recorded. For example, I disable Sunday night, so that there's no conflicts with with Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and Downton Abbey.

Enjoy it. My wife still has problems figuring it out even after getting close to 20 years with Dish.
You can always set a timer for the later PBS showing for Downton Abbey, and keep PTAT on.

At first I didn't quite understand what you were saying until you mentioned "conflict". I assume with the 3 Tuners of HWS? That is why I installed HWS and SJ for the 5 Tuners.. However, I only use PTAT Mon thru Fri.. I do manual timers for any Sunday shows..
Gerry

You can always set a timer for the later PBS showing for Downton Abbey, and keep PTAT on.

That is why I installed HWS and SJ for the 5 Tuners..
Gerry
Ahh... didn't realize that SJ added tuners. An upgrade to keep in mind. Of course the biggest upgrade wold be more time in my life to actually watch everything...

As for Downton - my wife and I have few "our" programs left, so we try to watch Downton at least semi-live, which here in Arizona starts at 8PM

On a slightly different note: Is there any way of getting rid of the flipp'n "Refer a Friend" banner on the bottom of the guide? It's distracting and takes up space.. Does Dish think their TWC these days?
Thanks, Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts