PTAT

brpeep

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I've tried to use my PTAT, but it gets so overloaded with news and junk Im not interested in. Is there a way to erase PTAT programs or eliminate certain channels from being recorded? I gave up and turned my PTAT off.

Also the DVR icons are not that friendly........how about an optional listing by line.

Last edited:
Maybe you're not understanding what PTAT is and does? It records NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX during the prime time hours. (Either 8PM to 11PM or 7PM to 10PM depending on your location) What the networks are showing will be recorded. You don't have to watch anything you don't want to, just pick the programs you want. You don't even have to delete anything, it will be deleted in about 8 days. You can go through the schedule and make individual recordings for each network show like before, or just use PTAT.

He wants more functionality out of the PTAT partition. The ability to search, filter, hide, sort by network, etc.

Very common request. Sadly, very little of that is possible right now.

I've tried to use my PTAT, but it gets so overloaded with news and junk Im not interested in. Is there a way to erase PTAT programs or eliminate certain channels from being recorded? I gave up and turned my PTAT off.

Also the DVR icons are not that friendly........how about an optional listing by line.
I gave up too for similar reasons. There's so much recorded, it is difficult to find a show of interest. Browsing 8 days of programs is slow.

I was afraid of missing one of my favorite shows in all the PTAT clutter so was setting separate timers and unskipping them to get them into my DVR storage too. Some of that came from posts saying PTAT wasn't working or was randomly not recording shows.

Also, there are only a few network programs I watch each week so PTAT is a waste of a tuner for me. Obviously, you milage will vary and for many PTAT is a great feature.

I do wish you had more control over what gets recorded and when. It shouldn't just be prime time hours as there are other times during the day when it would be useful (e.g., the morning shows).

I gave up too for similar reasons. There's so much recorded, it is difficult to find a show of interest. Browsing 8 days of programs is slow.

I was afraid of missing one of my favorite shows in all the PTAT clutter so was setting separate timers and unskipping them to get them into my DVR storage too. Some of that came from posts saying PTAT wasn't working or was randomly not recording shows.

Also, there are only a few network programs I watch each week so PTAT is a waste of a tuner for me. Obviously, you milage will vary and for many PTAT is a great feature.

I do wish you had more control over what gets recorded and when. It shouldn't just be prime time hours as there are other times during the day when it would be useful (e.g., the morning shows).

You don't have to use it. You can always control what gets recorded with regular timers. That said, you don't seem to understand how PTAT works. If you want to preset saving a PTAT show, just set a timer and don't unskip it. It will use the PTAT recording to save to your DVR storage without using another tuner. You can also set folders in the PTAT section, by name or network, for example. If you then select a folder you get a list of recordings with a little "s" next to the ones that are saved. The one tuner being used for network during those three hours should be your only concern. Those that are having problems should be getting them fixed by Dish. PTAT has been flawless on both my Hoppers.

sparc said:
He wants more functionality out of the PTAT partition. The ability to search, filter, hide, sort by network, etc.

Very common request. Sadly, very little of that is possible right now.

Dead on! A little work on the software would solve the problem1

patmurphey said:
You don't have to use it. You can always control what gets recorded with regular timers. That said, you don't seem to understand how PTAT works. If you want to preset saving a PTAT show, just set a timer and don't unskip it. It will use the PTAT recording to save to your DVR storage without using another tuner. You can also set folders in the PTAT section, by name or network, for example. If you then select a folder you get a list of recordings with a little "s" next to the ones that are saved. The one tuner being used for network during those three hours should be your only concern. Those that are having problems should be getting them fixed by Dish. PTAT has been flawless on both my Hoppers.

Pat, you may be a regular, but you don't have to talk down to anyone you think is a newbie! I've been in the industry since 1981 (the big dish era). We were a pilot test group for the first diect tv installs. At the CES show when Dish was introduced, I purchased 20 systems directly from Charlie and until a year ago, I was still a dish dealer.

I was venting my frustrations with Dish and their lack of response to customer suggestions!

Pat, you may be a regular, but you don't have to talk down to anyone you think is a newbie! I've been in the industry since 1981 (the big dish era). We were a pilot test group for the first diect tv installs. At the CES show when Dish was introduced, I purchased 20 systems directly from Charlie and until a year ago, I was still a dish dealer.

I was venting my frustrations with Dish and their lack of response to customer suggestions!

You have some good suggestions for changes to PTAT. It is just in its infancy at this point. DISH seems anxious to make this a top notch receiver. Perhaps some of your suggestions will be incorporated eventually, but they seem to just be getting the bugs out of it before adding more features. It has only been released about a month. It takes time to respond to suggestions. It doesn't happen overnight.

...I was afraid of missing one of my favorite shows in all the PTAT clutter so was setting separate timers and unskipping them to get them into my DVR storage too. Some of that came from posts saying PTAT wasn't working or was randomly not recording shows...

Pat, you may be a regular, but you don't have to talk down to anyone you think is a newbie!...

Not trying to talk down, but trying to correct an implied unnecessary step (unskipping) to save PTAT recordings to "My Recordings". We are all learning on these machines. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)