Puerto Rico receiver upgrade nightmare

yellowdragon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
Puerto Rico
Greetings. I've been a Dish customer sine they began doing business in the island 6 or 7 years ago... I started with a 301, then upgraded to a 510. Later I bought a 508 and did all the install and wiring, both boxes tied to one tv (I have only 1 tv) no big deal. Earlier in the week, the 508 kicked the bucket so I decided I wanted to upgrade to HD. Well, after asking a few retailers, they're quoting $600 plus a 2 year commitment for the receiver because I am a customer. :eek: So I decided I like TV but NOT that much and decided to check the Dual Tuner boxes. Dish will not mail them here because they have to be "professionally installed" (what expertise you need to screw 2 coax wires, I'll never understand). Told them about the HD receiver scam and how I just want an SD dual tuner and they gave me the numbers of 2 local retailers... Called them today and they're asking $500 and $575 for the SD dual tuner. :mad:
So the only way to get a dual tuner here is to commit subscriber fraud? (kill my longstanding account and use someone else's info?) :rant:

I paid $120 for my 510 upgrade when I did it way back then, so I'm not asking for anything free. Anyone in the island who has done this, can shed some light into this mess? What have you done to upgrade to a dual tuner? :confused:

G Anyone in the island who has done this, can shed some light into this mess? What have you done to upgrade to a dual tuner? :confused:

Well, I'm not in PR, but I am in AK. When my 6000 cooked, and my local guy wanted too much $$$, I ended up ordering a 722 from Claude at the dishstore from the ad above. He shipped it, and I had no problems activating it with dish on the phone.

Greetings. I've been a Dish customer sine they began doing business in the island 6 or 7 years ago... I started with a 301, then upgraded to a 510. Later I bought a 508 and did all the install and wiring, both boxes tied to one tv (I have only 1 tv) no big deal. Earlier in the week, the 508 kicked the bucket so I decided I wanted to upgrade to HD. Well, after asking a few retailers, they're quoting $600 plus a 2 year commitment for the receiver because I am a customer. :eek: So I decided I like TV but NOT that much and decided to check the Dual Tuner boxes. Dish will not mail them here because they have to be "professionally installed" (what expertise you need to screw 2 coax wires, I'll never understand). Told them about the HD receiver scam and how I just want an SD dual tuner and they gave me the numbers of 2 local retailers... Called them today and they're asking $500 and $575 for the SD dual tuner. :mad:
So the only way to get a dual tuner here is to commit subscriber fraud? (kill my longstanding account and use someone else's info?) :rant:

I paid $120 for my 510 upgrade when I did it way back then, so I'm not asking for anything free. Anyone in the island who has done this, can shed some light into this mess? What have you done to upgrade to a dual tuner? :confused:

As a Installer let me give you an advise,There no such thing to pay for you OWN HD Dvr for $ 600.00 and for that get an 2 year commitment here,the person who told you that seems to me he's trying to scam you,unfortunately there's no DHA plan available for Puerto Rico residents,so you have to paid the full price for any HD Dvr(722,612,622)Even for new costumers the price is $249.98.So go to Dishstore or ebay and buy one(if you go to ebay make sure there's no balance due or a lease receiver because Dish won't allow you to activate in such cases,always demand the R 00 and the S 19 and check directly with Dish)for the install since most of the gear than the retailers used here is legacy you will need to buy additional switches to feed both tuners in order to work properly, if you are skill enough you can do it yourself or hire a professional installer.

perhaps some of that upgrade cost is not just the receiver? what kind of dish so they have to use to pick up 61.5 from pr? or can they? im not sure, but i dont think 129 would be avail.

Do what I did I have been with Dish for 8 years and I cancel my subscription and change the name on the account for the free HD receiver but believe me when you call and tell them that you are going to leave for real they are going to get scared and offer you "villas and castillas" so you won't leave and anything you want for free! But I change because I had already commited with a friend of mine here, but If I had your chance I will cancel the account and watch there are going to offer you free stuff!!!!:)

Thanks for all who have responded...

Chena - Thanks for the suggestion. Will check with Claude later in the week, the store seems to have a few dead links today.

Technoguy - I'm be more than willing to pay the $300 for the receiver but Dish will not ship it over here... Will check with Claude later in the week. The two coax wires are already in place, I had a 508 and a 510 connected to my TV. :)

Pen15head - I don't think we can see 61.5 here... As is, 110 is too low and without a 5 footer or bigger antenna, you lose signal with the slightest rain. :-( I have a friend who did the subscriber switch and he's getting some HD off 110 and 119.

neljtorres - I'm trying to avoid doing that but if that is what it takes... :-( I've been with Dish since they began servicing the island... That and the fact that I've never called complaining about anything (the service has been stellar so far) might have some weight... Let me try with Claude first...

If churn rate is high in the island, now they know why... :-(

Well, tried Claude about 5 minutes ago... Decided to buy a 612, just what I need... BUT cannot go past selecting my payment method... Why? Because their system does not recognize Puerto Rico zipcodes... GRRRRRR!!!!

An email has been sent... :cool:

The same happened to me....when I wanted to replace my 2nd receiver with a HD-DVR. They said that since I am still in my contract.....I cant do D'nUp....but I can still get it...but the price was crazy...so I said THANK U...I will wait for the contract to expire...plus its Dish loss...since they will be the 1 losing money on my 2nd DVR plus HD extra package price.

Only if Dish can play smart for PR..& they can make some good money.

Did you try calling DishStore?

Toll Free (800) 807-0837

Have been trying to call Dishstore during the weekend... All I get is a fast busy signal from the cellphone and the landline. Maybe that 800 is not allowing calls from the island... :(

I'm firing a respectful letter to ceo and see what happens...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

buy on ebay

Just buy an hd 722k receiver (new in box) on ebay. EVERY RECEIVER I HAVE EVER BOUGHT FOR HD HAS COME FROM EBAY......MUCH CHEAPER THAN BUYING LOCALLY.

RECENTLY I BOUGHT THE 722k FOR 330.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING:)

Hi I have bought receivers from dishdepot and Sadoun and both ship to PR. One is cheaper that the other but I dont want to advertise. Anyway I believe you can buy an HD DVR for less than $300. Im waiting for the additional HD channels that are going to be available in the spotbeam. When they are light up I will be buying a 722

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)