Purchase AT9 or get it through D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
Recently I've had some problems with my oval 3-lnb dish. Recent tree growth has caused the signal on the 110 and 119 sats to degrade enormously. It's time to move my dish to another location, so I was figuring why not just upgrade to the AT9 while doing so. I'm wondering what the better option is, buying and installing the AT9 on my own, or calling D* and having them install one for me. I'm guessing the D* route would be cheaper as buying the AT9 on my own in addition to the new 6x8 multiswitch would run me about $180 or so. How much would D* charge me for an "upgrade" to the AT9?

PoitNarf said:
Recently I've had some problems with my oval 3-lnb dish. Recent tree growth has caused the signal on the 110 and 119 sats to degrade enormously. It's time to move my dish to another location, so I was figuring why not just upgrade to the AT9 while doing so. I'm wondering what the better option is, buying and installing the AT9 on my own, or calling D* and having them install one for me. I'm guessing the D* route would be cheaper as buying the AT9 on my own in addition to the new 6x8 multiswitch would run me about $180 or so. How much would D* charge me for an "upgrade" to the AT9?

My brother just called in to upgrade his D* subscription to include "HD" so he could get the new RSN-HD (+ the HD Programming package). They said he needed to upgrade to the new H20 recievier and AT9 Dish and the cost to upgrade to that was $100, but they waived the fee for him...So it was free to get both for him and they are coming Saturday to install.....sounds like its worth calling

ps...they also gave him the HD Programming package free for 4 months to boot.

Good to know. I'm already an HD subscriber and already have the H20 as well. I have been a customer for several years now though, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll waive my fees too. Guess I'll call them tonight and see.

Well I called D* and the guy I talked to thought I wanted a new HD receiver too at first, so he quoted me a price of $100. When I told him I just needed the dish and already had the H20 he recalculated everything and said installing the AT9 for me would be free! Looks like I'll be saving a good amount of dough now that I don't need to get the AT9 and 6x8 multiswitch on my own. I don't really care if the installer does a crappy job, I can always fix it myself and at least I don't have to pay for the new dish! :up

Make sure the installer uses the support arms. The dish is bigger and needs the support arms.

Good to know that you don't care if the installer does a crappy job, because he'll probably just come out and tell you that there is no line of site for the amount of money he will get paid to do the jos.. better for him to say no line of sote and not get paid then to do the job and make his pay....... best of luck to ya... LOL

wobbie said:
Good to know that you don't care if the installer does a crappy job, because he'll probably just come out and tell you that there is no line of site for the amount of money he will get paid to do the jos.. better for him to say no line of sote and not get paid then to do the job and make his pay....... best of luck to ya... LOL
Huh, is that right ? Then I see why DTV customer count is down. These kids face so call tech don't know what to do and they may under pay.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)