Purchased receiver fees

hdflsts2002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2008
Where on Dish's site can I find the monthly fees for purchased receivers? I know that I have seen this before but can't seem to find it now. I know that I am being over charged for receivers that I own and had a CSR who not only argued that point with me but also denied that the first receiver is free. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after a long hold the same CSR returned to the line to say yes the first receiver is indeed free however the other which is a purchased receiver is what it is (exact quote). Again I asked to speak with the supervisor and was put on hold and after a couple minute wait the call was dropped. I'd like the link at the Dish site that shows the monthly rate on purchased receivers.

Thanks in advance
Tony

Where on Dish's site can I find the monthly fees for purchased receivers? I know that I have seen this before but can't seem to find it now. I know that I am being over charged for receivers that I own and had a CSR who not only argued that point with me but also denied that the first receiver is free. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after a long hold the same CSR returned to the line to say yes the first receiver is indeed free however the other which is a purchased receiver is what it is (exact quote). Again I asked to speak with the supervisor and was put on hold and after a couple minute wait the call was dropped. I'd like the link at the Dish site that shows the monthly rate on purchased receivers.

Thanks in advance
Tony
I believe the rate is the same, leased or owned.

Did Dish change this? I know a year maybe two back they had lowered the pricing on purchased receivers.
This is what I pay for two Hopper 2's and one Joey, all owned:

dishfees.jpg

You still get a DVR fee, if the first receiver is a DVR.
Yes I know you pay the DVR fee no matter if there is a DVR receiver on the account. In fact I said this to the CSR that the $15 was DVR service not a fee for receiver 1 I tried to get him to grasp this by saying if I had ONLY a 222 receiver on the account there would be no equipment fee. He said no you will still pay a fee for that receiver. SMH. What I'm looking for is what is the charge for additional purchased receivers on the account by receiver model.

Did Dish change this? I know a year maybe two back they had lowered the pricing on purchased receivers.
Here is the thread:

Unfortunately, the link in that post goes to Dish's infocenter page, which gets updated every time there is a price change. After making the purchased equipment fee change, Dish could not wait to go ahead and do the next price increase as soon as possible (10 months later, instead of the usual 12 months between price increases) in order to get that fee reduction info off of their site. It is almost like Dish has something to hide...

I tried using the Wayback Machine to find an archived version of that page with Dish's price chart, but no such luck. The archived version has everything except the actual info. (Graphics from the top and bottom of the page, but everything that should be in-between is missing.)

In any case, the satelliteguys thread I linked above is an archive of what we were seeing on Dish's site at the time, although that is hardly anything that Dish would count as official. The lack of any equipment fee price changes on Dish's current infocenter price chart would seem to indicate that there have not been any equipment price changes since then, though.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Here is the thread:

Unfortunately, the link in that post goes to Dish's infocenter page, which gets updated every time there is a price change. After making the purchased equipment fee change, Dish could not wait to go ahead and do the next price increase as soon as possible (10 months later, instead of the usual 12 months between price increases) in order to get that fee reduction info off of their site. It is almost like Dish has something to hide...

I tried using the Wayback Machine to find an archived version of that page with Dish's price chart, but no such luck. The archived version has everything except the actual info. (Graphics from the top and bottom of the page, but everything that should be in-between is missing.)

In any case, the satelliteguys thread I linked above is an archive of what we were seeing on Dish's site at the time, although that is hardly anything that Dish would count as official. The lack of any equipment fee price changes on Dish's current infocenter price chart would seem to indicate that there have not been any equipment price changes since then, though.
Yeah had found that post and the link to the info center which as you say has the most recent price change. I do remember when the purchased receivers first dropped, think it may have been first mentioned in a post from Scott at a Summit could be wrong about that though. Didn't remember seeing anything where they had done away with that break so was hoping someone had a link to reference. Like you I also tried using the wayback but couldn't find an archived version. It amazes me how you can get a CSR one minute who is sharp as a tack and the next you get one who is clueless but will argue with you that they know what they are saying is correct. This was the first time that I can remember when I had asked for a supervisor and did not get handed off to one. Guess I'll just call again and ask for Loyalty/Retention if the CSR who answers has no clue as to discounted purchased equipment fees.

Reactions: pattykay
I’ve generally been happy with Dish CSRs, but the last one PO’d me.

I wonder how it will go when I call for a Hopper+ and explore “elderly” ;) benefits.

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
MyDISH Aint this it? found it in 30 seconds of googling, first plus sign.

Nevermind, just noticed that page only lists leased receivers.

MyDISH Aint this it? found it in 30 seconds of googling, first plus sign.

Nevermind, just noticed that page only lists leased receivers.
Yeah, that chart is demonstrably outdated, as discussed in the 2021 Dish prices thread. (No listing there for Hopper Duo at all, for example.) However, that is where the current receiver fees should be listed, if Dish would ever bother to update that page.

This is what I pay for two Hopper 2's and one Joey, all owned:

View attachment 157674

You are one of the lucky ones who gets the reduced fee for your owned Hopper3. I gave up after months and months of trying to get the reduced fee on my owned Hopper3 receiver.
As a Preferred customer 2 year offer
America’s Top 250 $87.99 Regular $107.99
Local Channels $12
Hopper DVR Service $25
Hopper Savings 15 of 24 -$5.00
Hopper Receiver $15 (I own second Hopper3)
Dish Protect Gold $10.99 (Senior Price)
Access for Additional TV $5 (owned Joey3)

• Sad
I am not trying to attack, but I really wonder why some buy their receivers, you still have to pay lease/DVR fees on it every month, so no money saved and might actually cost you more since you are also buying the box.

It is not like a Roku where you can use it for a bunch of different services if you leave one, if you cancel your Dish Service you have a paper weight.

This is why I always recommend the Wally. No DVR fee, they are cheap to purchase and only $5/mo for additional receivers. I also use an OTA antenna for locals, so my Dish bill isn't much more than streaming.

You are one of the lucky ones who gets the reduced fee for your owned Hopper3. I gave up after months and months of trying to get the reduced fee on my owned Hopper3 receiver.
As a Preferred customer 2 year offer
America’s Top 250 $87.99 Regular $107.99
Local Channels $12
Hopper DVR Service $25
Hopper Savings 15 of 24 -$5.00
Hopper Receiver $15 (I own second Hopper3)
Dish Protect Gold $10.99 (Senior Price)
Access for Additional TV $5 (owned Joey3)
Note that I have two Hopper 2's, not 3's if that makes any difference. I'm also on an "Outdoor" account with no contract.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am not trying to attack, but I really wonder why some buy their receivers, you still have to pay lease/DVR fees on it every month, so no money saved and might actually cost you more since you are also buying the box.

It is not like a Roku where you can use it for a bunch of different services if you leave one, if you cancel your Dish Service you have a paper weight.
I disagree. Remember that I am speaking from the perspective of someone who has both: purchased equipment and cancelled Dish service (at least temporarily) so I know what I'm talking about.

A deactivated Hopper 3 (or any other Hopper-interface stand-alone receiver) will continue to work for built-in apps. It will also continue to work for OTA, as long as you keep the satellite signal connected to be able to get the guide info. (What limited guide info that Dish actually provides for OTA channels, anyway.) So, a deactivated purchased Dish receiver can be used for other services when you cancel. If you lease your receiver, then when you cancel you have to return it to Dish. So then you end up with nothing.

I am assuming the above will be even more true (meaning the deactivated purchased Hopper 3 will be even more useful) after the Hopper+ comes out, since then you can add pretty much whatever apps you want to the Hopper.

The original advantage for us in buying our Dish equipment was back before we were full time RV'ers and could start and stop the service at will. Now as full time RV'ers owning our Dish equipment, we pay less for our owned equipment than the contract folks. As I posted, we pay $5 each for our second Hopper 2 and our Joey. Since much of our equipment, including our two permanently installed dishes and one portable dish, was purchased on eBay or "donated" by friendly Dish installers, our equipment costs have really been pretty low when amortized over the 14 years we've had the service. And should we someday cancel, our gear likely still has some value on eBay, although I don't see that as an issue.

Biggest reason for me purchasing was for use in the Motorhome. This way I can activate and deactivate at will, not being a full timer, and not have to worry about returning equipment. Also I like not being under contract so once my two years was up I purchased a receiver to replace the leased one. With the protection plan if something goes wrong it works just the same as if it was a leased receiver. I've been with Dish for too many years to count now but it's nice to know I can leave when I want or for getting a bit of a better break when you speak to retention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts