Purchasing DVR

matthewh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
I was a dish network custommer in the past. Right now I have a room mate that has "Digital Home Advantage" 4 room system with one 522 DVR unit and locals with a superdish. She is moving out though.

I want to drop to a 2 room system since its just me but I want a DVR again since I have found I cannot live without it. Its nice to never miss a new episode of your favorite shows. I am thinking of buying a DVR unit off ebay since I already have the Superdish and switch which I own.

So which DVR unit should I get? I am pretty happy with the 522 but is there something better and is it worth it? Is there somewhere else besides ebay to get one? Dish will not give me one since I am an existing custommer. Owning the gear will save me some money every month right? I mainly just want top 180+locals but may do the everything pack for a few months to see if any pay channels are worth while.

Matt

With the Everything Pack the 4.99 VOD Fee is waived. If you want 2 Tuners there are

Two Tuners
721 (No VOD Fee Ever Fast & Fast Guide - Great Machine)
522 (1 Box, each tuner can split to either TV, Name Based Recording like Tivo) )
625 ( Same as 522 but can download PPV Movies Ahead of Time)

Single Tuner
510 (Great Machine)
508 (Same as above, Smaller HD than 510 - No VOD Fee)
501 (Same as above, Smaller HD than 508 - No VOD Fee)

Then there are HD DVR boxes which I know nothing about.

Can you add boxes that you didn't get from Dish to the DHA?

Kaydigi said:
With the Everything Pack the 4.99 VOD Fee is waived. If you want 2 Tuners there are

Two Tuners
721 (No VOD Fee Ever Fast & Fast Guide - Great Machine)
522 (1 Box, each tuner can split to either TV, Name Based Recording like Tivo) )
625 ( Same as 522 but can download PPV Movies Ahead of Time)

Single Tuner
510 (Great Machine)
508 (Same as above, Smaller HD than 510 - No VOD Fee)
501 (Same as above, Smaller HD than 508 - No VOD Fee)

Then there are HD DVR boxes which I know nothing about.

Can you add boxes that you didn't get from Dish to the DHA?

When he says "VOD" fee, he means "DVR" fee. They are not VOD fees.

Without a total set of details, I can't say, but you should contact the selling retailer (or if none, Dish) and see if an account transfer can be arranged.

501 = 30 hours & NO DVR FEE
508 = 60 hours & NO DVR FEE
510 = 100 hours & $5 DVR FEE
721 = 90 hours & NO DVR FEE
522/625 = 100 hours & $5 DVR FEE (No Additional Outlet Fee)
921/942 = 250 hours & $5 DVR FEE (No Additional Outlet Fee)

As you can see the savings on the additional outlet fee makes up for the DVR Fee if your replacing two recievers with the one on the dual tuner recievers. If you have AEP you save an additional $5 per DVR reciever you have.

>>721 = 90 hours & NO DVR FEE

The 721 does not allow for 2 rooms though does it? Not sure I reallly need the 2 room system anymore but it would still be nice.

Matthew

Stargazer said:
As you can see the savings on the additional outlet fee makes up for the DVR Fee if your replacing two recievers with the one on the dual tuner recievers. If you have AEP you save an additional $5 per DVR reciever you have.

I am thinking you mean I may only save 5-10$ a month and have to buy a $150+ receiver. Might just not pay off very quick. I hate those monthly bills though. Cable/Dish is just way over priced. Just cannot live without it though.

Matthew

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)