PVR 942 - Really dumb question

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
OK, so I am getting installed tomorrow morning, and I have the 942 sitting here. I have never had a DVR before.

I was just wondering, since the space on the 942 is limited, can you burn DVDs from the 942 to a DVD recorder? It might make it worth the investment in a recorder. It seems to me like you should be able to (with no copy protection), but I haven't even opened the box yet........

-k

not a direct file copy, but yes the playback of dvr programs will output in the tv2 composite outputs that you can hook to a dvd recorder

I love these questions. Now, why in the world would any of the media companies want you to be able to do that? They want you to have the BUY a DVD. They hate DVRs. Anyway, so far, there is no KNOWN way to legally copy the records on the 942 to a DVD, OTHER than to use a capture of the anaolg output.

larrystotler said:
I love these questions. Now, why in the world would any of the media companies want you to be able to do that? They want you to have the BUY a DVD. They hate DVRs.

I am not sure if you are agreeing that my question was stupid, or if you think I am, but I do understand the whole concept of how the media companies make money, and what they don't want us to do. I also understand that a lot of people here have figured out ways to rig their systems up so that these things are still possible, and not overly complicated.

BFG had already answered my question with a good solution before you chimed in.

Thanks, BFG.

-k

Sorry, but the problem is that these same questions are asked over and over and over and over again, and it would take a lot less time for most people to just do a simple search versus starting a thread over the same thing once again. The question isn't stupid, and neither are you. It's just gotten a little irritating lately. that's one of the reasons I did the 61.5 thread. However, there were still people who would chime in with a question that they could have answered just by actually reading the thread. I am hear to help, and I enjoy helping people. I just get a little irritated. Sorry.

larrystotler said:
Sorry, but the problem is that these same questions are asked over and over and over and over again, and it would take a lot less time for most people to just do a simple search versus starting a thread over the same thing once again. The question isn't stupid, and neither are you. It's just gotten a little irritating lately. that's one of the reasons I did the 61.5 thread. However, there were still people who would chime in with a question that they could have answered just by actually reading the thread. I am hear to help, and I enjoy helping people. I just get a little irritated. Sorry.
I agree...however, this Forum needs to be better organized. I used the VOOM Forum almost exclusively over the past year and it was much easier for a newbie, or veteran Forum participant, to navigate and quickly locate desired information. This isn't a slight again the Dish Network Forum mods...just pointing out my observation. With the demise of VOOM DBS, this Forum has been growing---and will continue to grow---in the number active participants, lurkers, and stupid user questions. I would highly recommend adding sub-forums to cover: Installation, Help Desk, Equipment, etc.

larrystotler said:
I love these questions. Now, why in the world would any of the media companies want you to be able to do that? They want you to have the BUY a DVD. They hate DVRs. Anyway, so far, there is no KNOWN way to legally copy the records on the 942 to a DVD, OTHER than to use a capture of the anaolg output.

Before you rip in to someone that supports this site, maybe you should become a supporter of this site.

All opinions are welcomed, if from a pub member or not. Thanks for the input Riffjim.

I thought about placing a few FAQ threads about common Dish stuff.. but I don't remember what came of it or why it was shot down. I'll talk to the other mods and see what they think.

jmd102354 said:
Before you rip in to someone that supports this site, maybe you should become a supporter of this site.

Larry does support the site greatly, by providing solid information and a wealth of technical experience. We all contribute in our own way. I support the site as well, and IMO there's more ways to support the site than simply opening the wallet.

kanebear said:
Larry does support the site greatly, by providing solid information and a wealth of technical experience. We all contribute in our own way. I support the site as well, and IMO there's more ways to support the site than simply opening the wallet.

No problem...just don't talk to someone as if they are a FOOL !!!!
If he wants to berate someones legit question ,he should show some tact. There are many more people on this site with the same if not more knowledge that show a bit more courtesy . No matter what YOU believe, not everyone here is a EXPERT in this forum. This is why this forum EXISTS !

jmd102354 said:
No problem...just don't talk to someone as if they are a FOOL !!!!
If he wants to berate someones legit question ,he should show some tact. There are many more people on this site with the same if not more knowledge that show a bit more courtesy . No matter what YOU believe, not everyone here is a EXPERT in this forum. This is why this forum EXISTS !

I took issue with you when you attempted to 'pull rank' as a 'supporter' of the site as if to imply Larry's contribution to be less valuable than yours. That is as wrong as my saying that I am more valuable than you are because I donated more than you did. That's simply not the case.

I am very aware many here are new and have little experience. I'm one of them. My E* system was installed two weeks ago! As for the issue of berating someone... that's your *opinion*. I did not see his response as such.

You're free to put him on your ignore list if you don't like his posting style. Until you are paying him for his services, you have no say in what he posts nor how he posts it. If you believe he's violating site rules, contact a member of the forum staff.

jmd102354 said:

This doesn't even deserve a comment. Personally, and Scott and the others KNOW this, I prefer DBSTalk's format. However, I help out here when I have the chance. My participation in this site has skyrocketed since I did the 61.5 thread, which I did to HELP people. However, sometimes people need to try helping themselves first before they ask questions that are easily answered by simple searches. And I'm not the only one who feels this way.

jmd102354 said:
Opinions are ONE thing...Talking DOWN to someone is another!

And exactly what point are you trying to make? I gave the guy a much deserved apology, and he evidently let it drop. However, you don't seem to think that was enough. Other than the fact that I don't see the word moderator attached to your name, I'm done with this.

Can we get this closed or some moderation in here? It seems to have gotten WAY off topic. Thanx.

bcshields said:
I thought about placing a few FAQ threads about common Dish stuff.. but I don't remember what came of it or why it was shot down. I'll talk to the other mods and see what they think.

The problem with that is most subs just won't go to that area when they can just ask a question here. I know I've answered the same questions dozens of times over the last year. And the exact same answers are all still there. And I am not the only one.

larrystotler said:
The problem with that is most subs just won't go to that area when they can just ask a question here. I know I've answered the same questions dozens of times over the last year. And the exact same answers are all still there. And I am not the only one.

A quick, easy, polite and useful response could have been to provide a link to the 61.5 thread that you keep mentioning. I still haven't seen it. It doesn't appear to be a "sticky". I suppose I could find it with some effort.......

-k

larrystotler said:
Sorry, but the problem is that these same questions are asked over and over and over and over again, and it would take a lot less time for most people to just do a simple search versus starting a thread over the same thing once again.

Why is it that every forum on the internet has some one like you. In the amount of time you could answer the question you would rather lecture them on the use of the search function. Life's too short dude... relax!

volfan615 said:
Why is it that every forum on the internet has some one like you. In the amount of time you could answer the question you would rather lecture them on the use of the search function. Life's too short dude... relax!

Really, I could care less. I'm here to help people. However, sometimes people need to help themselves.