Pvr/dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sloweddi

Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
NorCal
Howdy,
So here is my questions: Do you really need to have programing with your DVR? Can you not just treat it like a VCR? The reason I ask is I came across an interesting project called MythTV which appears to be a do-it-yourself PVR based around a (Linux?) computer.

thanks everyone - things were simpler when I worked on vaccuum tubes :)

Yes, MythTV is PVR software for Linux. What do you mean by "Programming" in your post above?

if you mean TV Listings, they help with scheduling.

LER

I was under the impression that the DVR's were "programmed" to the provider. That is to say, if I received a DVR unit from D* I would have to payan extra charge for it to work with the D*. I know I am not being very clear, and it will probably all clear itself out once I actually use a DVR, but it is just that naging little tech itch... (I will not hack, I will not hack...):)

If you buy or lease a DVR, even one bought in the aftermarket, you will have to pay the provider for the DVR service (unless it's a 721/501/508). You won't have the option of owning a DVR without paying for or using the DVR features. You will have to activate the unit with the provider for it to work in any case. Exception: OTA capable receivers may continue to work for OTA reception, even without satellite reception. But the DVR features will not work. The old VOOM satellite receivers work like this.

If you want VCR features for OTA, buy a DVD recorder. Some go for about $100, but you'll probably be happier with one costing $200 or up.

If you want VCR features for satellite reception, many satellite receivers can be controlled thru "IR Blaster" features in VCRs and DVD recorders, and vice versa.

Satellite receivers will provide you with an Electronic Programming Guide (EPG) that allows you to just click on the show listing to set it to record. Some will also allow you to set timer based recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)