PVR installation vertical?

dhole

Original poster
Dec 24, 2003
I have just received a new 508 and am preparing to install. It would work best if I could install it in a vertical position, between the set and the side of the entertainment center. I have two 301's installed vertically but I understand that they have no moving parts. I call E* and asked them and he said "Good Question" and went off line. When he returned he said that they didnt recommend vertical installation. He explained that it was like a DVD player (!) and wouldnt work. I countered by suggesting that it was a computer hard drive inside and that most computers will work fine with the hard drive rotated 90 degerees. He said I could try it!

So I now come to those who know. Has anyone installed a PVR in a vertical installation or do you know what Hard drive model is inside the 508 so I can check the manufacturers specs?

dhole said:
I have just received a new 508 and am preparing to install. It would work best if I could install it in a vertical position, between the set and the side of the entertainment center. I have two 301's installed vertically but I understand that they have no moving parts. I call E* and asked them and he said "Good Question" and went off line. When he returned he said that they didnt recommend vertical installation. He explained that it was like a DVD player (!) and wouldnt work. I countered by suggesting that it was a computer hard drive inside and that most computers will work fine with the hard drive rotated 90 degerees. He said I could try it!

So I now come to those who know. Has anyone installed a PVR in a vertical installation or do you know what Hard drive model is inside the 508 so I can check the manufacturers specs?

I have installed my 508 vertically, and in fact, used it in my vehicle vertically while moving down the road with no ill effects. Just make sure to leave plenty of vent room around it so it doesn't overheat.

Make sure you unplug it and wait 30 seconds for the hard drive to spin down before you move it. The DVR receiveres are not recommended for moving vehicles and travelling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)