PVR501 new software p221dced-n

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Grandude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA
Turned on my bedroom TV and discovered a new download in progress.
I couldn't tell what changes/improvements were made.
Does anyone have any further knowledge on this?

Mark, could you please take some words about expantion port on back of PVR501+ ?
Is Dish will provide us cables and software for backup/restore our recordings before we should send back defective receiver ?

I seriously doubt that port is ever going to be used for anything. Unfortunately, your only choice for backups is to dump everything one show at a time to video tape or to computer via capture card.

markdl said:
I seriously doubt that port is ever going to be used for anything. Unfortunately, your only choice for backups is to dump everything one show at a time to video tape or to computer via capture card.

Mark, I'm totally disagree with you !
As you know business rules - nothing will exist just for tease us, customers.
The port was develop and have [I'm 100% sure] some purpose. Presence of the same port on 721 also proving it.
Would you please ask Dish engineers about the port and how we could use it on customer level ? May be they have some future application for it, as DVR device for 921 ?

I'm just passing along what the dish engineering department people have been saying for quite a while now. There might have been initial plans for it, but they aren't there anymore as far as I know.

At least will be interesting to hear about old 'initial plans'.

PS. I'm very sceptical about such excuses, we defenitly know [some sites discovered it] - Dish changing PCB for DVR510 a little ; so why they still keep the connector and spending money for it, if they don't have a plan for use it ?

Port schmort

There've been one of those ports on every set top box I ever had. My Primestar had one, the original Dishplayer had an additional smart card front slot and so on. It 's very easy to add access while they're at it. Probably cost them an extra dime.

Gordon :smug

From the 4-9-01 Tech Forum:
Expansion port. Plans to connect a CD-RW drive and sell music. Another possibility mentioned is using it to add an ethernet port for connection to a PC.
The pay-per-listen/download plan never went anywhere and they have since consistently said they won't make a PC connection because of the flak they'd get from Hollywood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)