Q2 Subscriber Loss - Dish Network

John Lee

Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Denver
It looks like Dish may be setting a record loss for Q2 2017. Historical numbers for Q1 2016 show Dish DBS lost 158k subs but was "saved" by Sling's add of 135k for a net 23k loss. Q1 of 2017 wasn't as bright for Dish with a total loss of 143k total. With Sling now competing with DirecTV NOW and Q2 a rough time for Dish, will we see a sub loss in the 300k plus for Q2 17'? Sling discounts would help, but propping up DISH DBS is needed. Sling customers are not worth as much as DBS and Dish has allowed DirecTV to have several differentiated channels, including One America News, which isn't on Dish, but is on DirecTV and DirecTV NOW. Remember those Dish commercials... same programming but lower price. They no longer apply. Is Dish giving up on DBS?

It looks like Dish may be setting a record loss for Q2 2017. Historical numbers for Q1 2016 show Dish DBS lost 158k subs but was "saved" by Sling's add of 135k for a net 23k loss. Q1 of 2017 wasn't as bright for Dish with a total loss of 143k total. With Sling now competing with DirecTV NOW and Q2 a rough time for Dish, will we see a sub loss in the 300k plus for Q2 17'? Sling discounts would help, but propping up DISH DBS is needed. Sling customers are not worth as much as DBS and Dish has allowed DirecTV to have several differentiated channels, including One America News, which isn't on Dish, but is on DirecTV and DirecTV NOW. Remember those Dish commercials... same programming but lower price. They no longer apply. Is Dish giving up on DBS?

I've never heard of One America News before, are there really that many people leaving Dish because of this one channel?

One America does not seem to have an iOS app, but such a search brings up similar.

Web site had article on Westinghouse bankruptcy that I'm interested in. So I'll give them a whirl.

I haven't left Dish, YET because of a lack of One America News. However if it were included in the Smartpak along with Fox Business, TNT and USA that would help keep me in place.
When my monthly cost is much over $50 it makes it difficult to justify staying.

Reactions: pattykay
as as long as Charlie and dish are the only mvpd who aren't handing out at $300 credit card you can count on more dish subscriber losses. apparently Charlie feels it isn't worth handing over somebody $300 to take his service that's his business decision. One thing I haven't checked is it dish still continues to have increased profits while suffering subscriber loss is that the case this quarter as well? then again even DirecTV is taking the approach of higher-quality subscriber instead of just getting the greatest number of subscribers. that's a strategy Charlie took years earlier and it has resulted in subscriber loss but still increase profits in the past, if that's still the case this quarter

Not this quarter.
And that is why I said the point of diminishing returns has been met last quarter. The continued growing profits despite continued subscriber losses was the saving grace for DISH. Now that they are losing both subs and profits , they have to recognize that this model is sinking and they need to address it sooner, rather than later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)