Quad shield RG-56?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

milhouse

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
New Albany, IN
The cable guy came out the other day to hook up a cable modem and said I had old "quad-shield RG-56" cable running that isn't used much anymore. I was hoping to use the existing cable runs for Voom. Will this cable work or will I need new runs?

milhouse said:
The cable guy came out the other day to hook up a cable modem and said I had old "quad-shield RG-56" cable running that isn't used much anymore. I was hoping to use the existing cable runs for Voom. Will this cable work or will I need new runs?

LOL! Be sure you get a different technician if you ever need them to return. RG-56 is not 75 ohm coaxial cable...there really is no reason for you to have had it unless you used a ham/CB radio. Perhaps he meant RG59?

Well, he did mispronounce 'membrane' when I asked what the difference was between the cable I have and the newer stuff.

Quad shielding is generally an unnecessary expense. I'd recommend replacing your RG59 with a good brand of RG6 such as Amphenol's Times Fiber or Comm Scope.

cameron119 said:
Quad shielding is generally an unnecessary expense. I'd recommend replacing your RG59 with a good brand of RG6 such as Amphenol's Times Fiber or Comm Scope.

The installer did say it was overkill to use quad shield. I was just hoping to use it so I wouldn't have to pay the Vomm installer to fish the cable.

I wouldn't recommend using the 59. The installer should replace any that he/she would have to use. If you would rather do the fishing, you can grab a spool of mid-grade RG6 at the Home Depot, Lowes or a similar establishment. I recommend Times Fiber or Comm Scope for permanent installations. In the end, it really won't matter. The two brands I mentioned all have a self-healing compound to protect against corrosion. However this makes them slightly sticky and a very little bit more difficult to work with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts