Quad shield RG-56?

milhouse

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
New Albany, IN
The cable guy came out the other day to hook up a cable modem and said I had old "quad-shield RG-56" cable running that isn't used much anymore. I was hoping to use the existing cable runs for Voom. Will this cable work or will I need new runs?

milhouse said:
The cable guy came out the other day to hook up a cable modem and said I had old "quad-shield RG-56" cable running that isn't used much anymore. I was hoping to use the existing cable runs for Voom. Will this cable work or will I need new runs?

LOL! Be sure you get a different technician if you ever need them to return. RG-56 is not 75 ohm coaxial cable...there really is no reason for you to have had it unless you used a ham/CB radio. Perhaps he meant RG59?

Well, he did mispronounce 'membrane' when I asked what the difference was between the cable I have and the newer stuff.

Quad shielding is generally an unnecessary expense. I'd recommend replacing your RG59 with a good brand of RG6 such as Amphenol's Times Fiber or Comm Scope.

cameron119 said:
Quad shielding is generally an unnecessary expense. I'd recommend replacing your RG59 with a good brand of RG6 such as Amphenol's Times Fiber or Comm Scope.

The installer did say it was overkill to use quad shield. I was just hoping to use it so I wouldn't have to pay the Vomm installer to fish the cable.

I wouldn't recommend using the 59. The installer should replace any that he/she would have to use. If you would rather do the fishing, you can grab a spool of mid-grade RG6 at the Home Depot, Lowes or a similar establishment. I recommend Times Fiber or Comm Scope for permanent installations. In the end, it really won't matter. The two brands I mentioned all have a self-healing compound to protect against corrosion. However this makes them slightly sticky and a very little bit more difficult to work with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts