Quadcopters

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
USA
I'm looking at getting a quadcopter. Looked at them a few years ago and had my eye on the DJI Phantom series. I see the Mavic is now DJIs flagship product, or at least most promoted.

I'm looking at spending $1500, which is the cost of the Mavic 2 Pro. Anyone have an experience with these? Any feedback positive or negative?

I have 2 Mavic Pros. Bought the second one for the better electronics. Today the biggest complaint I have is the heavy restrictions on where you can fly legally. The FAA has active agents full time scouring Facebook, You Tube and other social media looking for violations and the fines are extreme starting at $10,000 per violation. Same for National and State Parks. The NPS has active full time agents enforcing the restrictions. Even throughout the Caribbean there are new laws popping up everywhere I travel banning drones. In addition, dji's latest operating system can communicate back to their database your flight and it is rumored they will report violators to the US Government.
If you were planning to fly your drone for a favor for a friend, even if you don't charge them money, the law requires you obtain a commercial pilot's license. There have been cases where violators shooting some aerials of a friends house for free was considered a violation. The commercial license is not cheap and requires you study and take a test. Like other licenses, it expires and you have to pay to renew.

I suggest you download one of the many apps available and check out the restricted air spaces where you plan to fly to see if you can fly legally. However these apps do not cover local government restrictions. Most municipalities now make it illegal to use a drone to video a public event or government building without a special permit that can take weeks to months to obtain. If an event licenses an exclusive drone operator, they may sue you if you try to shoot video or fly a drone over the same event. Other local communities make up ordinances that restrict you from flying over people and private property farm animals and wildlife.

This is why I find flying my drone way too troublesome and haven't had them in the air in over a year.

Glad I never got one.

At our campground, there was a fireworks show that had three drones filming. I wonder if they’ll post results at the campground website.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Scott- That is a restricted Class D air space on multiple restrictions. Fines could amount to $100,000 to $300,000 and 3 years in prison if no harm is caused. Much higher if your illegal flights cause harm. You should understand the government will add up the number of violations when they catch you. I looked on the FAA TFR maps and if you fly inn a small strip along rte 218 you will be clear of the Class D restriction. I don't know what city restrictions you may be violating. The two big violations are flying within a 5 mile radius of your Hartford airport Tower and flying over a government building.

Glad I never got one.

At our campground, there was a fireworks show that had three drones filming. I wonder if they’ll post results at the campground website.

It all depends where your camp site is. But, there is one obvious violation- you have to be certified licensed Part 107 to fly and obtain an exemption to fly at night anywhere in the country.

Of course if your drone is under 0.55 pounds you do not have to register it and can fly pretty much anyway you want. Hobby drones are 0.55 lbs to 55 lbs and must be registered with the FAA and follow all the rules.

Reactions: navychop
Scott- That is a restricted Class D air space on multiple restrictions. Fines could amount to $100,000 to $300,000 and 3 years in prison if no harm is caused. Much higher if your illegal flights cause harm. You should understand the government will add up the number of violations when they catch you. I looked on the FAA TFR maps and if you fly inn a small strip along rte 218 you will be clear of the Class D restriction. I don't know what city restrictions you may be violating. The two big violations are flying within a 5 mile radius of your Hartford airport Tower and flying over a government building.
I have talked to the airport and am told its not restricted airspace. The airport is almost 10 miles away.

I will be flying there next week by request of the town, in preparation for the towns 150 Birthday. :)

I hope you got that request in writing.

I have talked to the airport and am told its not restricted airspace. The airport is almost 10 miles away.

You must not be flying in Hartford then because the City Hall is only 2 miles from the airport. If the city hired you to do that you are in violation of Part 107 commercial flying rules. Do you have a commercial pilot's license?

Don't mean to be negative, Scott, to your fun but everything you keep posting speaks criminal activity. People have been put in Federal prison for doing what you claim to be doing. Two years ago I took the course for the FAA exam but decided not to spend the money for the commercial license. Then more and more restrictions were put in place and everyplace I wanted to fly became illegal so I packed my two drones away and gave up on it.
I will be flying there next week by request of the town, in preparation for the towns 150 Birthday.
This is a violation of the Commercial Pilot's License requirements. You are not permitted to fly for hire, whether or not you got paid.

I suggest you get your permission from the FAA not "somebody" at the airport. You need to contact Air Traffic Control officer in Charge 30 minutes prior to flight and establish a flight plan. The ATC will then give you instructions for takeoff and when you have to be back on the ground. But if you are flying outside the restricted air space - you don't need to bother them.

Install B4UFly app on your iphone as that is a good source for TFR's. I haven't kept up but the rules on flight plans were changing this year and internet flight plan filings were to be automated in the internet so you don't have to be calling ATC. The Chief of Police is a good resource for clearance to fly over City Hall but he has no authority over ATC.

I just don't want to see you get into a heap of legal trouble. These FAA boys are quite serious. The National Parks service are also.