Quality Issues with Local Channels

kenskibum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Lopez Island WA
I realize that a certain amount of compression artifacts are expected with this technology, but I have been noticing artifacts on my local HD channels via Dish that are very noticeable and annoying.

Often when there is a cut between two shots, the beginning of the second shot will have considerable breakup. We’re not talking a little fuzziness, but large ugly horizontal breakup, that only lasts for one frame. (See attached still frames) This doesn’t happen all the time, but when it does, it will happen several times within a short time period.

I can get OTA signals, although not reliably, and these artifacts are not there. I have recorded the same programs via satellite and OTA to confirm this. I live in the Seattle market, and have noticed this from time to time on all three of the major network affiliates over the past several months.

I know that there is a lot involved to get these signals from here to there and back again, but I find this unacceptable. I have a 722 DVR and my locals come from the 110 sat. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just being too picky. -Ken

Frame 1 - last frame shot 1(good)
Frame 2 - start of shot 2 (bad)
Frame 3 - next frame shot 2 (good)

Attachments

• frame 1.jpg
    frame 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 182
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 204
  • frame 3.jpg
    frame 3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 187
I sent my screen shots to dishquality@echostar.com and I got an initial response already, so that's encouraging. -Ken

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Thank you very much for the information sent. This will be very helpful. I will put this on our monitoring list so that we can try and duplicate the issue here. I am also going to forward this information off to our Locals Engineering Department. Please be patient and I will try and get you some answers on this as soon as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts