Quality of the new HD from DirectTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kb Cool

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Will it be HDLITE or will it be untouched and left alone exactly like they receive it from the source? I realize it may have to be encoded from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4. But will the quality remain?

I really don't know if direct will be receiving the programming off of the cband satellites that the broadcasters use or will they get the programming via fiber and then do the re-uplink thing to directtv 10. But really my question is will the new HD from directtv be hdlite. I guess I will monitor this forum in the future and see what you guys have to say about the quality of the new channels before switching providers.
Thanks

If they new channels are anything like my HD LIL with D*, I will be more than happy.

I really don't know if direct will be receiving the programming off of the cband satellites that the broadcasters use or will they get the programming via fiber and then do the re-uplink thing to directtv 10. But really my question is will the new HD from directtv be hdlite. I guess I will monitor this forum in the future and see what you guys have to say about the quality of the new channels before switching providers.
Thanks

If they new channels are anything like my HD LIL with D*, I will be more than happy.

If people talking about the lil's in mpeg 4 is any indication, HD lite will be a thing of the past.

Jimbo

simple, Mpeg4 is not as detailed as Mpeg2 which is not as detailed as AVI. Simple.

Thanks
dumb question, Why would they downlink then uplink?

Say what ???
Care to explain yourself ?

Jimbo
A simple answere would be to go and research all of the compression techniques and you answer would be obvious.
comparing compression techniques is like picture compression techniues like jpeg, png, gif. All are different and some are better than the other. In the case of jpeg as you recompress you loose detail. The idea of compression is to get the most information in the smallest package. A raw video is the best. As we compress we loose detail or we loose time in the assembly/ disassembly process. There are different mpeg4 processes. some better. some are quite innovative in their processing. I f all we did was use a mathematical equation for compression the decompression would be the reverse. Probably all we would be concerned with is how fast that process could occur. That could be a problem when we go into action sports. The process has to be fast. An example might be 1080i vs 780p. For sports 780p is better because of the two different types of interlace. (go look it up) If it was scenery 1080i would have the detail but in a sport such as a race the picture slightly jitters. Mpeg processing tries to remove information about the picture that is unnessary so the size of the data file is smaller. Just that would be great. The picture is composed of pixels We want to see all of those pixels. So unless we see them all we loose some of the detail. More to follow.

You want to explain this statement?
More:
Due to its simplicity, Motion JPEG is a good choice for use in many applications. It ensures inexpensive equipment at the cost of slightly higher bandwidth consumption. For more efficient bandwidth usage, some of the true motion picture compression standards are preferred.
MPEG–1 can be more effective than MJPEG. However, at a slightly higher cost, MPEG–2 offers some advantages that provide better image quality -- comprising of frame rate and resolution -- but requires more network bandwidth consumption. It is also a more complex technique. MPEG–4 is developed to offer a compression technique for applications demanding less image quality and bandwidth. It is also able to deliver video compression similar to MPEG–1 and MPEG–2, with higher image quality and higher bandwidth consumption.
Since the H.261/H.263 recommendations are neither international standards nor offers any compression enhancements compared to MPEG, they are not of any real interest. Some definitions:
Interlaced – A technique used in old television system where the picture is divided into two half pictures containing every other line each. When displayed, first the odd lines are displayed then the even lines followed by the odd lines of the next picture and so on. This is the opposite of Progressive Scan.
Progressive Scan – Each picture in the video sequence is the full picture displayed all in once. This is the opposite of Interlaced.
PAL – Phase Alternating Line. This is the standard for the analog television format used in Europe with 625 lines at 50 half-pictures per second, i.e. Interlaced video.
NTSC – National Television Standards Committee. This is the standard for the analog television format used in the US with 525 lines at near 60 pictures per second, i.e. Interlaced video.
HDTV – High-Definition Television. A standard for television of picture size 1920 ´ 1044 at 30 pictures per second.
MPEG – Motion Picture Experts Group. The committee responsible for developing the MPEG standards. Homepage at: www.mpeg.telecomitalialab.com
Interesting comparison:

MPEG
Max bit rate (Mbps)
Picture width (pixels)
Picture height (pixels)
Picture rate (fps)
30​

From this, there is an obvious question: See it?

WIDTH

Last edited:
You want to explain this statement?
All right here is a pro statement for mpeg 4. The encoding rate is faster. When you have high definition you have a high bandwidth picture. You need to encode and decode it quickly. Mpeg 4 is better at that than mpeg1. Raw video is still better image quality. It take high bandwidth to transmit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I think I found the answer to new HD channel date

1080i...NOT a friend of NFL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)