question about 1Gig fiber vs Dish

voodooevil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
North Carolina, USA
hi
i have 100Megs down 10 up internet connection. and have dish for 17 yrs.
att and atmc is currently running fiber to handle a 1Gig connection. why would i need more speed then i currently have. and can dish produce the same or better picture quality than services using fiber1G?
thanks in advance for this discussion.

If you are streaming video from Netflix and the others at 1080p then I would say no, you wouldn't need more. Steaming 4k stuff probably would be ok too. Downloading 4k movies would be a LOT faster though.I don't think Dish video is 1080p, more like 720 and the video on the gigabit tv I have seen is better, true 1080 p HD. !00 Meg down would be something I would love, but I would need to move into town, and that's not likely
A lot, to me, would depend on the price difference

I recently got a 1 gig service. A bundle deal thru Comcast. I see no difference in speed compared to my old internet speed. My old speed was 25 down and 7 up.
What's your actual download speed? I had Comcast 100 MB/s plan and the typical d/l speed was about 50-60. Now I have 1GB/s Fiber from another company and my d/l speed is about 950, meaning I get 95% of the speed I pay for now vs 55% of what I was paying Comcast for

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have AT&T Fiber 100/100 service. If I got their Gigabit service, I would not notice the difference. Streaming starts instantly either way as it is latency that matters more than throughput, beyond a certain point. Fiber typically has lower latency than DOCSIS (cable), so it is a bit snappier, but most people would probably not notice the difference. If you have a dozen people staying at your house, all streaming UHD video, gigabit would probably be required. Any normal usage by a handful of people would be served well by 100/10.

Reactions: voodooevil
My
What's your actual download speed? I had Comcast 100 MB/s plan and the typical d/l speed was about 50-60. Now I have 1GB/s Fiber from another company and my d/l speed is about 950, meaning I get 95% of the speed I pay for now vs 55% of what I was paying Comcast for

My download speed usually is 400 to 500. It sometimes hits the 900 range. The upload is always in the low 40’s.

so all this being said, att uverse won’t be much better than dish picture quality on an OLED tv ?
Speed will not change the PQ (once you get past a certain point, which you already are). Bandwidth can & will however. But, you don't know how much bandwidth your provider is dedicating to each individual channel.

If I could get fiber, I probably would drop Dish, but it would have nothing to do with PQ.

Reactions: voodooevil
its more about tv programming picture quality.
i think that dish PQ is great and was trying to figure out if 1G would really improve picture quality with say uverse or another company trying to get my tv business

We have 1G from Comcast and so happy we do, last night for example wife and I watching Sabrina in 4K in the living room and me downloading a few HDR movies on my Pro , daughter in her room watching something in 4k and also on her IPad, son in the basement, also watching The Meg in 4K on Vudu and gaming online at the same time, never a problem.

its more about tv programming picture quality.
i think that dish PQ is great and was trying to figure out if 1G would really improve picture quality with say uverse or another company trying to get my tv business

In comparing my Dish PQ to my neighbor's AT&T Fiber (Uverse) PQ, I cannot say there was a huge difference, although the TVs were not identical, so really hard to compare apples to apples. Having seen VDSL2-based Uverse TV, I can say that it has inferior PQ to Dish and Fiber-based Uverse. I could have gone with Uverse, and it is a good deal when you consider the price they charge for the programming, but Dish Anywhere is something we use all the time, and Uverse doesn't have a comparable feature, so it was an easy choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)