This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Question about 4K channel 540-1

fmj77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Western North Carolina
Should this channel show up on my channel guide even when nothing is broadcasting? I have set the channel guide on my Hopper 3 to display all channels, but 540-1 is not there.

Should this channel show up on my channel guide even when nothing is broadcasting? I have set the channel guide on my Hopper 3 to display all channels, but 540-1 is not there.
I have channel 540, 540-01, 02, & 03.

Last edited:
Is it a 4K capable set and defined as one in the Hopper settings?

Yes, it is set to 4K. Is there a minimum programming package that I need to subscribe to in order to get 4K?

Equipment
You'll need to have:

A Hopper 3 receiver or a 4K Joey paired to a Hopper 3
For the best viewing experience in 4K, you'll also want:

A 4K TV
An HDMI cable (either from DISH, or your own HDMI 2.0 or higher cable)
Programming

Subscribe to a qualifying package:
America's Top 120 or up
Latino Max
National Action Pack
Int'l: World

I don't have a 4k set hooked to my Hopper 3 so I can't see this for myself. Is 4K on chanel 540 interlaced? I asked because the signal reported by the TV from the Hopper is interlaced for all other channels.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I was able to watch the 4K channel on my old Hitachi RPCRT 1080i TV, so it does not require a 4K TV to watch channel 540-1.

I don't remember the sequence but all you need to do is do a couple of button presses and the screen that tells you you need a 4K TV goes away and the picture and sound are there, slightly washed out but watchable.

Now that I have a 4K TV I can't experiment with it myself any more.

Somewhere in the Satellite Guys discussions are several descriptions of how to watch channel 540-1 on a non 4k TV.

All you really have to have is a programming package that allows you to view that channel, I believe it is AT120, maybe AT200.

Reactions: TheKrell
All you really have to have is a programming package that allows you to view that channel, I believe it is AT120, maybe AT200.
I still don't understand why such a high package is required. Since all of the 4K events originate from Fox, you would think that all you would need is a subscription to local channels, regardless of which basic package you have.

Reactions: fmj77
I still don't understand why such a high package is required. Since all of the 4K events originate from Fox, you would think that all you would need is a subscription to local channels, regardless of which basic package you have.
Most of the 4K sporting events are on FS1, not this weekend though, and you need to have a package that includes that channel.

Most of the 4K sporting events are on FS1, not this weekend though, and you need to have a package that includes that channel.
Oh, okay. I was confused by the chart in the other thread...
...showing that all of the Dish 4K events were from Fox. Also, there was your comment later in that thread:

I’m talking historically. The last few years were far away more FS1 than Fox. I know that specifically because I watched most of those games in 4K by streaming FS1 on my Apple TV. The picture was simply better than the one I got from DISH.

Reactions: Foxbat
My Vizio 4K UHD is
I have a 4K Vizio. On my TV settings, my UHD settings are on, but when it comes to saying it's HDR, it says, No for HDR. How do I change that, or can I change it. Now on the Hopper 3 TV settings, it does say it is 4K. Can I still view whatever is on 540-1.

540-1 is 4K - non HDR channel.

540-2 is an HDR channel but nothing has been broadcast on that chanel since the last Olympics, IIRC.

You cannot turn HDR on, it is a built in component of the signal, it's either there or it is not.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What is the best 4K Vizio, that's also HDR
Probably their most expensive one.

What's the point if Dish does not pass through any HDR signals?

A 4K HDR TV can display 4K non HDR and 4K HDR, but it will only display HDR if the signal contains that information.

Reactions: charlesrshell