Question about 622 rebate

gbjbany said:
Update - I just spoke with jed at the executive office.
1. Do you need to return the receiver to get the rebate - Yes 2. Eligibility of Lease vs Purchase or both - Owned is ok didn't get an answer on lease.
3. Must be a 921 or 942 - , i.e an HD DVR
4. What programming package do i need to have - doesn't matter - but if not subscribing to a hd package then would need to pay the$6 dollar enabling fee.
5. How long must i have been a subscriber or receiver owner, i.e less than 12 months is ok ? - Didn't get an answer on this.
6. If i lease, assuming eligibility, and i have upgraded in the past 12 months can i do so again here or must i wait for my 12 months. - no Answer
7. If i lease, assuming eligibility, and i upgrade do i need to wait another 12 months or does this not count. - No answer
8. What form will the rebate take - money or credit to account or ppv vouchers or what ? - This is still TBD, but it wont be PPV vouchers, it will either be a net 99 fee or a mail in rebate.

One last point, you cannot get this rebate unless you order after april 1st.

Sorry didn't get answer for leasers as i dont lease but i hope that clears some confusion up.

I guess the question is who's answer at DISH trumps who? I mean Marc's answer to me was also pretty clear, but I agree so was yours.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. If the 622 $200 rebate applies to 811 owners I'll probably lease, if not, I'll buy. There is no way I'm giving Dish $300 and committing to 18 months for something I won't own.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. If the 622 $200 rebate applies to 811 owners I'll probably lease, if not, I'll buy. There is no way I'm giving Dish $300 and committing to 18 months for something I won't own.

NightRyder

Why so anxious to buy versus lease...if, say, you paid $250 for the 942 lease option last year, and now you want to get a $299 622 lease, you have the latest hardware for less than you would have paid to own the 942. Likewise, why would you want to drop max coin on a 622 now, only to be stuck w/ inevitably outdated hardware down the line (unless, of course, you think this is the last box for 3 years--i.e. unlikely)? That's why I left D*, no relatively inexpensive lease options. O.K., that and their poor HD selection.

shanewalker said:
Why so anxious to buy versus lease...if, say, you paid $250 for the 942 lease option last year, and now you want to get a $299 622 lease, you have the latest hardware for less than you would have paid to own the 942. Likewise, why would you want to drop max coin on a 622 now, only to be stuck w/ inevitably outdated hardware down the line (unless, of course, you think this is the last box for 3 years--i.e. unlikely)? That's why I left D*, no relatively inexpensive lease options. O.K., that and their poor HD selection.

I thought about it a lot, even ordered a 622 (lease) but canceled when they rescheduled my install. Say we each get a 622 and you lease at $299 and I buy at $649. In 3 years we both decide to get a new receiver. With lease $299 + $216 lease fees = $515. I only need to get $134 residual out of my purchased receiver to match the lease option, plus history shows that the resale value of the receiver is likely to be much higher than $134. The other thing that gives me pause regarding leasing is the possible availability of external drives. Dish isn't going to lease these to customers, and I doubt they will be cheap, so what do you do with them if they aren't compatible with the new receiver?

I understand the attraction of leasing for some, but I tend to own my equipment for a long time, my 501 will turn 5 in May, so I just see owning as a better alternative for me.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
I thought about it a lot, even ordered a 622 (lease) but canceled when they rescheduled my install. Say we each get a 622 and you lease at $299 and I buy at $649. In 3 years we both decide to get a new receiver. With lease $299 + $216 lease fees = $515. I only need to get $134 residual out of my purchased receiver to match the lease option, plus history shows that the resale value of the receiver is likely to be much higher than $134. The other thing that gives me pause regarding leasing is the possible availability of external drives. Dish isn't going to lease these to customers, and I doubt they will be cheap, so what do you do with them if they aren't compatible with the new receiver?

I understand the attraction of leasing for some, but I tend to own my equipment for a long time, my 501 will turn 5 in May, so I just see owning as a better alternative for me.

NightRyder

Not sure about your case but I also considered the math for lease vs buy. My understanding is that I will either pay a lease fee or an extra reciver fee. So the lease fee is not really there its just a different name for the same fee.

MacKenzieIII said:
Not sure about your case but I also considered the math for lease vs buy. My understanding is that I will either pay a lease fee or an extra reciver fee. So the lease fee is not really there its just a different name for the same fee.

In my case the 622 will take the place of 3 receivers (811, 508, 501). If I understand the "Dish-in It Up" promotion correctly, even when the 622 is the only receiver on an account the subscriber still gets stuck with the $6 fee, by purchasing the receiver I won't have to pay it. I'll also get rid of $10 a month in outlet fees but have to pay the stupid $6 DVR fee.

NightRyder

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
In my case the 622 will take the place of 3 receivers (811, 508, 501). If I understand the "Dish-in It Up" promotion correctly, even when the 622 is the only receiver on an account the subscriber still gets stuck with the $6 fee, by purchasing the receiver I won't have to pay it. I'll also get rid of $10 a month in outlet fees but have to pay the stupid $6 DVR fee.

NightRyder

Ahh yes if it is your only tuner then I think your math is correct

The logic tells me that since they are asking for me to wait with my 811 receiver until April, they won't phase out any MPEG2 HD that I am currently receiving until April (with exception of Universal HD and ESPN2 which are MPEG4 only)? They won't take away any of my HD channels I hope?

NightRyder said:

NightRyder
Your case may be similar to what I had before I got my 942. I had a 501 in the family room and an 811 / 508 combo in the living room. The 942 replaced the 811 & 508 and the 508 replaced the 501 which I gave to by brother in law.

I've never had to pay any "lease" fee but that may be because I keep the 942 hooked to a phone line plus I have the AEP pak. The only extra I pay is one $4.99 "additional receiver fee".

waltinvt said:
Your case may be similar to what I had before I got my 942. I had a 501 in the family room and an 811 / 508 combo in the living room. The 942 replaced the 811 & 508 and the 508 replaced the 501 which I gave to by brother in law.

I've never had to pay any "lease" fee but that may be because I keep the 942 hooked to a phone line plus I have the AEP pak. The only extra I pay is one $4.99 "additional receiver fee".

Walt, your configuration was exactly like mine. 811/508 in living room, 501 in family room. The only one who uses the family room TV anymore is my 6 year old Grandson, so I can't see keeping a separate receiver for that. I figure to use the 622 in single mode most of the time then switch to dual mode as required.

From what I understand the 942s were leased under the DHA plan and that plan included the lease fee for 1st receiver in the programming package. That appears to have changed under the new DIU plan (another hidden fee increase :rolleyes: ).

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Walt, your configuration was exactly like mine. 811/508 in living room, 501 in family room. The only one who uses the family room TV anymore is my 6 year old Grandson, so I can't see keeping a separate receiver for that. I figure to use the 622 in single mode most of the time then switch to dual mode as required.

From what I understand the 942s were leased under the DHA plan and that plan included the lease fee for 1st receiver in the programming package. That appears to have changed under the new DIU plan (another hidden fee increase :rolleyes: ).

NightRyder
as long as you are sunscribed to one of the DishHD matalic packages, and the only reciever you have is the 622, you should only be paying a $5.98 DVR fee.

RobertsD said:
as long as you are sunscribed to one of the DishHD matalic packages, and the only reciever you have is the 622, you should only be paying a $5.98 DVR fee.

Under DHA that would be true, but they changed the rules under DIU.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/fees/

Why does DISH Network charge a $5 leased receiver fee under the DISH’n It Up promotion?

DISH Network charges this fee for each receiver leased through the Existing Customer DISH’n It Up promotion. This fee helps cover the costs associated with broadcasting programming to you through the additional receiver.

Why does DISH Network charge an equipment rental fee under the Digital Home Advantage promotion?

A $5.00 equipment rental fee for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $5.00 per month will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first.

NightRyder

Last edited:
NightRyder said:

NightRyder
Grandson ! Don't know why but didn't think you were OLD (like me):D . Must be that "muscle car" avatar. Now I wish kept a picture of my old '69 Cuda:rolleyes: .

Yea, I keep my 942 in single mode unless I want to output from the HDD to my dvd recorder while watching something else. I expect the 622 will work the same way.

As for the fees, I guess I still don't completly understand them - especially when you start factoring in 501/508s that didn't have the dvr fees, exceptions for AEP and if you have or don't have a phone hook up.

waltinvt said:
Grandson ! Don't know why but didn't think you were OLD (like me):D . Must be that "muscle car" avatar. Now I wish kept a picture of my old '69 Cuda:rolleyes: .

My T/A is the last toy left from a well misspent youth. :devil: Would loved to have seen your Cuda. I had a 67 Plymouth GTX 440 that I ran at Woodburn Drag strip for a few years, fast car, sub 12.5 at 105 - 107 MPH and it was street-able, drove it to the track every Sunday :D

NightRyder

shanewalker said:
Why so anxious to buy versus lease...if, say, you paid $250 for the 942 lease option last year, and now you want to get a $299 622 lease, you have the latest hardware for less than you would have paid to own the 942.

Because paying $250 to lease equipment for around 6 months is a HORRIBLE DEAL! If one would get no credit from the $250 on a replacment, then effectively that raised your Dish bill by $40 a month!

Likewise if one leased a 942 for $250 last year and now pays $299 for another leased receiver, and has to turn the 942 back in, then they will have paid $549 in upfront lease charges for a receiver that they likely could have purchased for $649. And you have an 18 month lease commitment.

So after 18 months, the leasor will have paid $657 and still not own the equipment and would still be paying a monthly lease fee.

The $200 rebate is needed to move the lease deal from terrible to acceptable. For after 24 months of "ownership", you are still nearly $200 under the purchase price.

Besides, I think the list/purchase prices on these receivers are being purposefully inflated by Dish to make the lease deals more attractive.

NightRyder said:
My T/A is the last toy left from a well misspent youth. :devil: Would loved to have seen your Cuda. I had a 67 Plymouth GTX 440 that I ran at Woodburn Drag strip for a few years, fast car, sub 12.5 at 105 - 107 MPH and it was street-able, drove it to the track every Sunday :D

NightRyder

I grew up near (40 miles) Connecticut Dragway and actually saw Don Gartlis (probably mis-spelled) run his "Swamp Rat" ( I think) there once. or was it "Big Daddy" somebody? sh*t, now my head hurts now from going that far back.

Oh yea, the GTX was like the crem de crem. As I remember it was the first "automatic only" and first automatic worth a sh*t. Am I dreamin or wasn't it also available in the 426 hemi? Either way, it woulda blown my cuda doors off big time.:D

waltinvt said:
I grew up near (40 miles) Connecticut Dragway and actually saw Don Gartlis (probably mis-spelled) run his "Swamp Rat" ( I think) there once. or was it "Big Daddy" somebody? sh*t, now my head hurts now from going that far back.

Oh yea, the GTX was like the crem de crem. As I remember it was the first "automatic only" and first automatic worth a sh*t. Am I dreamin or wasn't it also available in the 426 hemi? Either way, it woulda blown my cuda doors off big time.:D

It was "Big Daddy" Don Garlits and his dragster was named the "Swamp Rat". Thank God for Google, hard to remember things from the 60's and 70's, they are all kinda blurry ;) :D

The GTX was available with the 426 "Street Hemi". Saw a 1968 sell at Barret-Jackson last month for $200,000 + :eek:

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)