Question about 721 install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vampirefish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Hi, I've been researching on this topic, but the posts are so old, I'm unable to reply to any of them... so I'm sorry if this new topic seems a bit redunant.

I'm looking to buy a PVR721 since I can't get an HD signal :mad: . I have this VIP 622 that I have to send back and REALLY wanted a dual tuner (of course, HD too).

So I have a dish 500 (quad lnb) and no switches on the side of my house. I am running 3 receivers (501, 301, 2700) and plan on switching out my receivers (exchanging the eldest) and using the 721 as my main receiver (3 total). It is still unclear to me if I need an external switch. From what I've read, I won't with a dual lnb (of course, I could be reading this wrong).

My vip622 came with a dpPlus separator (for 2 sats in and one in - confusing)... anyway.. is this all I need? Just connect my cable (from sat) to this separator and then to my 721 (that i don't have yet :))??

Thanks in advance!!

So what would be best for me to do (rather than running another line? The DPP Twin or DPP 44? What will give me the best bang for my buck (and great picture :))?

Others may argue, but I don't think there's any difference in signal strength between Legacy, DP or DPP. With that said, if you plan on keeping the 301, 501 and adding the 721 then yes, the DPP44/DP Twin combo is the easiest, albeit most expensive route.

If it was me, I would be sorely tempted to have two lines ran to the location of where your 721 is going to be at. Then again, it's easy for me to say that since I have no idea of the layout of your home. LOL

The installer couldn't lock in a very strong signal from the 129 sat (only about 34%), so I'm out of luck. I wanna pick up a used 721... I just can't do cable... not yet, anyway.:eek:

Hey about the 721... I know it's dual tuner and I've been watching ebay to check out pricing. My question is..why are some sold with 2 remotes? This receiver doesn't have the 2 room capability, does it (like the 510)?

thanks!

It cannot show 2 different sources at a time. Many folks like to use the receiver to feed two rooms with the same programming. For example, I had mine in the living room and fed the RF output to my bedroom. My wife and I usually watch TV together, so this saved having an extra receiver for the bedroom. UHF remotes work very well...

That's a good idea... but if it's setup that way, you can't enjoy the dual tuner in one room, can you? For instance, in the living room, you want to do the whole 'watch one live show while recording another' if it's set up that way, right?

Thanks in advance...just weighing my options :)

So if I get a Dish Pro Plus LNB, I wouldn't have run 2 lines to the receiver, using a Dish Pro Plus Separator???

So, I guess my quesiton would be...would I still need a DPP44 switch or can I get away with using a DPP Separator?

Ok, I just want to make sure that my setup will work then. I'll have a 501, a 301 and a 721. I see 3 outs on the LNBF (going to buy one so I'm looking at a pix). Dish 500 with DISH PRO PLUS TWIN LNBF and DISH PRO PLUS SEPARATOR (going to the 721). The other 2 lines just go separately to the 301 and 501...? Would this work or do I need some special switches, etc for the 301 & 501?

DPPTwin only has two outputs. That third connection is an input for a third satellite location.

If you are determined to use the separator and have more than two receivers you got's to have the DPP44 switch.

hmmm.... maybe I should just run another line? With the cost of buying a DDP Twin LNBF & DP44.... I think I'd save money.

Hey, Vampirefish - If you're receiving the sats. at 110, I believe you can indeed receive the "national" HD channels including TNT-HD, Discovery-HD, HD Net, HD Net movies, ESPN-HD (plus HBO-HD and SHO-HD if you subscribe to those premiums). It would be kind of expensive for what you can get since you'll probably have to subscribe to HD Bronze as a minimum for $50/mo. (There is the standalone HD Pack that I think you could get with just the HD channels for $30/mo., but its description is confusing.) My point is that even if you can't receive 61.5 or 129, there is still a limited HD offering. Before you send the 622 back, is that of interest to you?

Of course it is... I want my HDTV! But I just don't know any way to get Dish to help me out in that respect! I guess I could call them and ask, aye?

The programming is corn-fusing to me as well.... Do you know if all HD channels will be moved to the 129 and/or eventually moved off of the 110? AND, what would I be missing without the 129 HD? Wonder if I could locals (not sure if Seattle is there yet...but what sat would that be off of)...?

the 721 is crap get a 625. even with a 44 switch the 721 will need two lines because it is a dp receiver not a dpp receiver if you fet a 625 you can run a single line to it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts