Question about 722 features

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

golfnutcasey

Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
North Carolina
Hello, I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything.

I just switched to Dish Network and my 722 box was installed on Wednesday so I'm still learning how to use it and had a couple of questions.

First, I quickly learned that unlike my Directv Tivo box, when watching a recorded program it doesn't automatically record the live tuner. In other words, when I am finished watching the recorded program when I hit live TV, I can't rewind to see the content that was airing while I was watching the recorded content. Is there any way around this other than actually having to record the live content as well?

Also, when two programs are scheduled to record at the same time in the future, one on TV1 & another on TV2, is there any way to flip flop them without having to actually delete them from the list and re-schedule? Sometimes I would like to reverse which programs record on what TV and would like to have an easy way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a related question from someone ready to dump cable. If you record on TV1, can you watch what you recorded on TV2, and visa versa? Thanks.

Yep. You can even watch what is recording on TV1 concurrently on TV2 even if TV2 is recording something else. Plus, the 722 allows an OTA antenna to be connected, allowing three concurrent recordings, and you can watch what is recording OTA on either TV1 or TV2 as well.

1. Go to the live show...hit the Pause button...then go watch you recored show.
Keep in mind the it will only buffer up to one hour. So make sure you finish up the record show in 60 min or less or you will start lossing mins.

2. If you have two show that are scheduled to record from 8-9 one on TV1 the other on TV2...what difference does it make? Could you explain WHY you want to do this option?

I haven't done this before, so take this with a grain of salt. I think it was Pepper who claimed in another thread that you could go into single mode, hit the swap button, and then go back into dual mode and effectively swap the ongoing TV1/TV2 recordings.

Paradox, it's kind of complicated but I'll give it a shot.

Lets say show A starts at 8:00 and ends at 9:00 and is going to record on TV2. Now, show B also starts at 8:00 but ends at 10:00 is going to record on TV1. Now, Show C starts at 9:30, but I can't watch it on TV1 because show B is still recording on TV1. If I could just go in and flip Show A to TV1 and Show B to TV2 beforehand, I would still be able to watch Show C at 9:30 on TV1.:D

That probably makes no sense whatsoever!

Has anyone had success hitting the pause button before going to a recorded program? This didn't work when I tried it. The live tuner had not kept the program paused when I came back from watching recorded content.

Has anyone had success hitting the pause button before going to a recorded program? This didn't work when I tried it. The live tuner had not kept the program paused when I came back from watching recorded content.

Sorry I left this out....

You have to do this with PIP windows and the Swap button.

A. Go the the live show
B. Hit pause
C. Hit the PIP button
D. Swap to the second window (tuner) and start your recorded show.

Now that you are watching the recorded show you can close the PIP window of the pasued show and when you are done... hit the PIP button againand the paused show will still be there and then you can swap back to it an watch.

I've never tried that, but you could watch a recorded show and then have the channel you eventually want to watch in PIP (or TV2) assuming you're in single mode. When you're done watching the recorded show, just switch over to the other tuner (swap) and you'll be able to rewind.

Paradox, it's kind of complicated but I'll give it a shot.

Lets say show A starts at 8:00 and ends at 9:00 and is going to record on TV2. Now, show B also starts at 8:00 but ends at 10:00 is going to record on TV1. Now, Show C starts at 9:30, but I can't watch it on TV1 because show B is still recording on TV1. If I could just go in and flip Show A to TV1 and Show B to TV2 beforehand, I would still be able to watch Show C at 9:30 on TV1.:D

That probably makes no sense whatsoever!

Show A. Tuner 2: 8:00 - 9:00 PM
Show B. Tuner 1: 8:00 - 10:00 PM

Show C 9:30 PM - Can be watched on Tuner 2

Did I understand correctly?

That's right, but what if I want to watch Show C on Tuner 1? I couldn't unless I went in and reversed the tuners before the shows ever started recording.

You couldn't reverse the tunners even before hand...that is you can not proactively select which tuner will be used. I am not say there isnt away to do it (playing with start and end times does the trick) but the software picks the tunner by default.

So I think the simple answer to your question is...once a tuner is engaged and recording something you can not switch that on going recording to another tunner.

At least you have an available tuner to watch the show at "930" it just wont be on the tuner you want.

This is also assuming you are in SINGLE mode.

You couldn't reverse the tunners even before hand...that is you can not proactively select which tuner will be used. I am not say there isnt away to do it (playing with start and end times does the trick) but the software picks the tunner by default.

So I think the simple answer to your question is...once a tuner is engaged and recording something you can not switch that on going recording to another tunner.

At least you have an available tuner to watch the show at "930" it just wont be on the tuner you want.

This is also assuming you are in SINGLE mode.

Once the show you want to watch starts to record on TV2 you can do two things if I'm understanding you correctly.

Go to your dvr menu and start watching the show on TV2 just like you would any other recorded event even though it is still in the recording process.

Or you can hit the button on the front of the reciever to go to single mode then hit the pip button and hit swap. Now you should be watching what is being recorded on TV2. You can even put the reciever back into dual mode and once you have what you want to watch on TV1 and it shouldn't mess anything up.

I have done both of these things on my 622 a few months ago i think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)