Question about a DISH ViP 622 DVR (gray) box, and a VIP 211k HD receiver (black)

FLMJFL

Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Florida
Hello everyone, this is my first post and i have a question, it may be dumb but i am not too familiar with the satellite world

The whole condominium community i live in uses DISH as a provider for TV. We pay for it via Monthly Association Payment. If you want the TOP 200 package with the HD programming its $10.00 extra a month. Well i currently have the 211k HD black receiver box and get HD programming with the americas top 200...

Well i was throwing trash out today and saw a big gray DISH VIP 622 DVR box and another extra VIP 211k HD receiver next to the dumpster, clean and seemed to be in good condition. So i thought i can probably use the DVR or it could come in handy?

I call DISH and they told me i have no use of the receiver and the DVR i found, they told me if I want DVR that i would have to order one from them and pay $50 installation and another $10 extra a month for the DVR.
I plugged in the DVR into the tv and it says that the signal cant be found because the card inside is not good.

Is this trash or can i sell it? or use it one way or another?

Thanks

622's are older receivers and is probably not worth much. If Dish wasn't willing to get the receiver set back up for you, doubt someone else would be able to have it done as well making is worthless. Even if it is just a bad card, Dish charges for replacement.

If you really want a DVR, you can use your 211k, hook up a USB external hard drive, and pay Dish a one-time $40 activation fee and your 211k will become a DVR. No extra monthly charges.

The 622 has a hard drive inside. So it might be possible to remove the hard drive, put it in a cheap USB enclosure (from MicroCenter), reformat it and use it as an external hard drive. Just a thought. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hello everyone, this is my first post and i have a question, it may be dumb but i am not too familiar with the satellite world

The whole condominium community i live in uses DISH as a provider for TV. We pay for it via Monthly Association Payment. If you want the TOP 200 package with the HD programming its $10.00 extra a month. Well i currently have the 211k HD black receiver box and get HD programming with the americas top 200...

Well i was throwing trash out today and saw a big gray DISH VIP 622 DVR box and another extra VIP 211k HD receiver next to the dumpster, clean and seemed to be in good condition. So i thought i can probably use the DVR or it could come in handy?

I call DISH and they told me i have no use of the receiver and the DVR i found, they told me if I want DVR that i would have to order one from them and pay $50 installation and another $10 extra a month for the DVR.
I plugged in the DVR into the tv and it says that the signal cant be found because the card inside is not good.

Is this trash or can i sell it? or use it one way or another?

Thanks
The receivers you found were probably there for a reason. With DISH, receivers are either owned or leased, if the receiver is leased DISH owns it so it can't be activated on another account and it can't be sold. If they are owned they can be sold and activated on other accounts but they cannot have an OUTSTANDING BALANCE if there is a balance owed DISH will refuse to activate them. The third possible problem is they may not be working, 622s are old enough that hard drives are failing and many customers are upgrading rather than repairing.

The old card display probably means those receivers have been sitting in a closet for at least 2 years. DISH did a free upgrade to purple (S19) cards for all active receivers about 2 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)