Question about Boston DMA ion affiliates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I noticed tonight that rabbitears lists different primary signals for the Concord and Cape Cod affiliates for ion. Is that correct? I would assume so. Since these are all full power channels, why isn't WPXG 21-1 Concord, NH (qubo) and WDPX 58-1 Vineyard Haven (ion-life) on Directv? Wouldn't they qualify as must-carry?

I know that UNC-TV in NC does that with DMAs with more than one transmitter - swaps the primary and secondary on one to get both on satellite. I am surprised more PBS affiliates don't do that.

Moved into the general TV forum, since this isn't really a website-specific question and I don't know the answer. :)

- Trip

Yes. The stations qualify as must carry. But remember that the stations have to ask to be carried on cable and satellite. It doesn't happen automatically. In this case, I think it has to do with a national carriage deal for ION. I think both those stations are company-owned.

Moved into the general TV forum, since this isn't really a website-specific question and I don't know the answer. :)

- Trip

I only asked there because it was originally a question about the site showing the ionlife and qubo on the primaries but it morphed into more. Wasn't really sure where to put it.... Do you know how long it has been this way?

Yes. The stations qualify as must carry. But remember that the stations have to ask to be carried on cable and satellite. It doesn't happen automatically. In this case, I think it has to do with a national carriage deal for ION. I think both those stations are company-owned.

But the national carriage doesn't include ionlife and qubo, which is the primary on 2 of the 3 Boston-DMA affiliates...

I only asked there because it was originally a question about the site showing the ionlife and qubo on the primaries but it morphed into more. Wasn't really sure where to put it.... Do you know how long it has been this way?

Years and years. At least as long as I can remember, which would be 2009, maybe?

- Trip

Years and years. At least as long as I can remember, which would be 2009, maybe?

- Trip

Very interesting, I have looked through the list Boston channels a million times but assumed WPXG and WDPX were like other ion stations. On cable way up here in NW VT, WPXG is listed in the guide, but it's regular ion. Ion Life and Qubo are also carried, but are not in the broadcast TV package. I have seen the WPXG-WBPX-WDPX ID (like what I see on Directv's 68) in the past on cable, but haven't looked recently. Little things like this interest me. Thank you for maintaining the rabbitears site, it is a very valuable resource, especially when the user opens all the tabs....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts