question about cabling/diplexer

francishsu

Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I'm interested in getting Voom installed. I was planning on getting one receiver so that I can get Voom+OTA in one room, but I'd also like to be able to get just the OTA transmissions in other rooms, using the same antenna that Voom installs.

I have run two RG6 cables from a patch panel in the basement to the room where I want to the Voom STB to be. In the near future, I want to run additional RG6 from the patch panel to other rooms for OTA reception.

Can this setup work if the installer uses a diplexer? I would want the installer to run the cable from the antenna to the basement where the patch panel is located. But I am clueless on the best way to have the satellite+OTA continue via RG6 from the patch panel to the STB location, while providing separate OTA-only transmissions through the remaining RG6 cables going from the patch panel to the other rooms. Do I have the installer put the second diplexer (the one to separate the signals) at the patch panel location rather than right before the STB? If so, then feed the OTA part through a splitter connected to the remaining RG6 cables at the patch panel? Or should I buy a multiswitch if I'm going to be running two RG6 cables to each of the other rooms?

If the installer arrives with the Winegard SensarII (gs-2000A) and you don't provide the seperate power source, then a diplexer will have to be used to get the voltage from the STB to the antenna's power card. If you wanted, you could buy the PS-9370 and have them run two seperate lines and just split the OTA for the other rooms.