question about diplexers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdiehl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 6, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have a DirecTV triple LNB oval dish with the built-in switch (4 outputs). I'm looking to add my OTA antenna to the system so that I can distrubute that signal to the 4 rooms that the dish is feeding.

The way I understand it, I'll need 8 total diplexers? 1 one each line, coming off the switch, and then another before each of the receivers to split the signal apart again. Problem is, that means I'll need to split the UHF/VHF signal from my OTA antenna 4 ways as well.

Is there a way to make this easier, where I can have one feed from my OTA antenna, and maybe just one diplexer near the dish (perhaps before the multiswitch?). The multiswitch included with my dish doesn't have an antenna jack, so it doesn't have a built in diplexer. I guess I could just replace it with a multiswitch that does include a diplexer (recommendations???), and that would save me from buying 4 of those diplexers as well as a splitter for the OTA signal 4-ways.

Am I on the right track here?

The best solution is to get a 5x8 multiswitch. Connect your antenna to the fifth input (all four sat lines need to be connected to the 5x's sat inputs) and then you'll need one diplexer for each TV location.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm. But I only need 4 outputs, and I'll probably only use the OTA signal on two of my receivers (the HD ones).

Could I use a quad combiner? Take the 4 feeds from the switch, + the OTA, and then output from there to the receivers (using diplexers on the 2 receviers where I need OTA).

Something like this:

quad-combiner.jpg

It's certainly alot cheaper than a 5x8 switch.

Yes, if four outputs are all you need, then a 5x4 multiswitch will do the job. But, if you ever plan to add a DirecTV DVR either SD or HD, you'll be wanting the extra outputs. What's the price for that Quad combiner? I haven't seen one of those, but have seen the 5x4 multiswitch. Here's the Eagle Aspen 5x4 switch, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SP54DC and here's the Eagle Aspen 5x8 switch, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SP58DC22. Which is actually cheaper than the 5x4? Okay, I looked up the quad diplexer, I'm still unsure what the technical difference is between that and the 5x4 multiswitch, other than the price. Anyone else have any concerns about using the combiner instead of a multiswitch?

Okay, new problem. I crawled in the attic and moving my antenna closer to the dish where all 4 feeds could have been combined with the OTA signal is not an option. So, I split the antenna signal and ran one to my existing HD receiver, and I'm only going to feed it to one other receiver (not all 4). I used a standard diplexer up in the attic to splice in the OTA coax with the run from my dish, and then another diplexer located at the HD receiver where I'm wanting the OTA signal.

Problems though. The OTA signal is coming through the diplexers just fine, but I get zero signal from D* now at that location. I made a seperate thread here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=58250

Shouldn't diplexers be able to combine OTA with one single feed from a triple LNB dish? I'm just piggybacking on one RG6 line for about 15ft before it gets split back out at the receiver.

Yeah, the diplexers only pass DC on the sat leg. I found what the problem is, the drop from my attic down to this receiver that I'm sending both signals too. I tested it by running about 20ft from where I put the diplexer, down through my attic access (into a closet) and hooked up the other diplexer and a small kitchen TV there. It all works fine. When I try the same thing in the family room where I'm trying to get both signals, I get no signal on the sat. What's odd is that the OTA signal comes through just fine, but no sat. signal at all. Really weird, but at least I've isolated the problem (the ~15ft of coax from where I added the diplexer, down the wall, and into my family room). The bigger problem is that I can't really drop new coax to that location, which is why I'm using diplexers for OTA in the first place. I can't understand why this 15ft of coax would pass the OTA signal just fine, but no sat signal. This morning, before I spliced the line with the diplexers, it send my sat signal through perfectly (95+% signals).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts