Question about Dish Pre-wiring, Help Please!!

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I'm having a new house built and next week I have to do the thing where I walk through with an electrician and tell him where I want power outlets, cable, phone, switches, etc. It occured to me, I don't plan to use cable (but I get 2 cable jacks in every room) is there a way to tell an electrician to pre-wire me for Satellite instead of cable ? Is this pretty common? Should I get both cable and satellite? Just not sure if it's possible or not, I might be asking a really stupid question or saving myself+installer a lot of hassle :)

Also I have 1 HD and 1 SD TV and the online dish thing is trying to force me to use 1 reciever, is it possible by request to just ask them for a 622 for the HD and a seperate SD DVR for the other TV?

Thanks for your help!

Hi!

Yes. You can request (almost) whatever equipment you would like for your account. There are some lease-upgrade fees for certain equipment or even purchase options. Call Dish Network directly, not a sales partner if you want the bottom line on allowed equipment and pricing...Less hassels in my opinion.

As far as wiring. Most new construction will have lines that are home run to a central location in a basement or other utility area. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO RUN THEM TO THE ATTIC - this makes it very difficult in most situations to further wire the house from a tech's viewpoint (read this as additional charges will apply for a custom installation). If you have the option of running two lines to each outlet that will be for an HD tv, you might want to do so (one for satellite, one for off-air antenna for HD locals). Other outlets in your home would be placed on a focal wall, where the tv is most likely to be located.

Hope this helps, and good luck/congrats on the new house!
Jen

Make sure all the coax is rg6. I would personally go with at least 3 in the main viewing area so you can run sat, OTA , and distribute the rf from the satellite to other tvs in the house if needed. Now is definately the time to run all the cabling you think you may ever need. I used a lot of cable in my house last year cat5 for phones in every location and cat6 data in every location plus between 5 and 9 coaxes in each location all fed to a central wiring closet for my own personally favorite way of distributing component video thru out the house. You will probably also want at least 4 coax runs to wherever you will want the dish mounted.

622 & audio receiver

Weighing A Potential EchoStar-DirecTV Merger

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)