Question about Dish Service and Receivers

The difference is that driving a little faster than 65 isn't prohibited by the terms of your drivers license. Having receivers in multiple residences under the same account is expressly prohibited.
A drivers license is issued by a constitutionally created government agency and based on state statute.

The transaction between a customer and a business is a contract between two people or entities and is subject to interpretation by both with disputes settled by mediation, arbitration or civil proceeding. And in all cases both parties are equal before the court.

In other words Dish can prohibit my ass.

Sorry for the harsh language but business disputes are a whole different kettle of fish than violations of law and I tend to resent the imperious tone some take when explaining Dish's view on a matter.

The terms over at DIRECTV are similar and they have the additional condition in their equipment lease addendum that demands that you not physically relocate a receiver.
I believe Dish has the same clause in their lease agreement which is why I told the OP that he should only move equipment he owns.

Boy we got our panties on a knot, didn't we.

Well, I guess we'll just have to call dish when we go to the lake house and change our service address temporarily.

Have been trying to follow this and get more confused as I go on. I assumed (which you probably should not do because it makes an A** out of U and me, but I digress) that one of the values of sat tv was the ability to move it from place to place. Unlike dealing with multiple cable companies. Why would it be fraud if I had sat service at my home, picked up my reciever and moved it to my cabin, RV, winter (or summer) residence, and plugged it in. I am only receiving the service that I am paying for. Is that stealing? I have read in other posts where subs "move" to receive different locals and no one has mentioned fraud in those instances.

The true idiot is the one that assumes that because you can do something that it is allowed. The reasoning person reads the agreements and contracts and finds that relocating their receivers is prohibited.

After reading many replies on this subject I had to dig into what my parents said a little further about bringing their receivers to their second seasonal home. I by no means am trying to justify it's right just saying what happened to them.

I talked to my mother yesterday who as i said before is a snowbird living in Wisconsin approx. 6 months out of the year and the other months living in Florida. She talked to 3 neighbors that do have the same living arrangements. ALL three do the same with their receivers when they move.
The funny thing about all this is this: they are all Dish subscribers, ALL three own their equipment, ALL three called dish about doing this, 2 out of three had a local installer install the dish for them and one of them actually paid nothing as DISH had arranged and installed it for their second dish on the roof. ALL three of them were supplied dish's free of charge from DISH network. All three of the customers started this approx 4 years ago. HHHHhhhhmmmmmm.

I can only assume that this was a problem that got out of control and Dish changed their policy on this. Do i agree with this policy now, no, will i follow the rule on this per Dish's agreement, yes i will but i still look at it this way. If i own my receiver and dish and pay my bill for there satellite signal who cares where i am? Like i said though i will follow the rules.......

The true idiot is the one that assumes that because you can do something that it is allowed. The reasoning person reads the agreements and contracts and finds that relocating their receivers is prohibited.
You just don't get it.

It is a fundamental right in this country to do what you wish with your personal property and a Colorado corporation cannot contravene that right by any means.

If they want to quit doing businesses with you because you offend their feeling of omniscience by doing something they don't like, they can do that. But quit trying scare forum members into obeying the will of The Legal Gods of Echostar.

Use some common sense. The fine print on service contracts is ALWAYS written to put the vendor in the superior position. But that doesn't mean that courts around the country don't routinely throw out silly language like this and cut to the fundamental elements of such agreements to do justice.

Blockbuster comes to mind when they collected hideously large fees from customers who signed rental agreements supposedly agreeing to be "fined" if they failed to return tapes on time .They lost their battle in several courts and were ordered to compensate their customers to the tune of millions of dollars.

Not to mention that most states have consumer protection laws that trump any contract language deemed to be unreasonably burdensome on the customer while not causing any damage to the vendor. And just as an aside, how is Dish damaged by me moving my receiver?

And PROHIBITING the movement of a persons personal property is unreasonable if not silly on it's face.

Please, please, just stop it!

By the way, do you still have all the tags on your pillows and mattresses?:rolleyes:

Does this mean I can't relocate my receiver from my livingroom to my bedroom? Can't you "relocate" your receiver to your new address under Dish Mover? A narrow view is a sign of a narrow mind.

Steve: You're right - you can move the equipment anywhere you want, esp if you own it HOWEVER the company reserves the right to deny service to said equipment.

Also, if you read the tags, they clearly state they're not to be removed by anyone except the purchaser.

Steve: You're right - you can move the equipment anywhere you want, esp if you own it HOWEVER the company reserves the right to deny service to said equipment.
DENY SERVICE???? You mean can they take their toys and go home? Sure it's a free country.

Just like if I get fed up with lousy service I can DENY them any more of my money.

Each side has to judge how much slack they want to give the other before they call it quits.

I submit from posts in this thread that Dish doesn't often kiss off a customer for daring to move his receiver. They're wise enough to realize that doing that costs THEM money and only inconveniences the customer who then trots off to Direct and lives happily ever after.

But it is certainly possible a customer could run afoul of the wrong Dish Dilbert on the wrong day and that said Dilbert might decide to jump ugly and lay down the law on that filthy disgusting customer who DARED flaunt the word of The Lords of Echostar.

We customers have to each make a personal decision as to how much bull-sh** Dish service is worth. Or how willing we are to flaunt "the law" and live on the edge. Personally I haven't had to face this since they know I have a receiver on my travel trailer. But if the day ever came I sold the trailer and bought a cabin in the woods I'm pretty certain that Dish isn't so special I'd maintain two accounts for those occasions when I wanted to watch TV in the woods. But then I live for danger.

DENY SERVICE?? Give. . . me . . . a . . . Break!

Also, if you read the tags, they clearly state they're not to be removed by anyone except the purchaser.
Dang! Nobody was supposed to bring that up.

I tear off the tags from my pillows AND my mattresses but hey, I'm LOCO. Bottom line is DISH permits the folks with campers, snowbirds, etc to have units at different locations rather than require a 2nd account because they know they'll lose customers if they don't. Why alienate folks, they know it's virtually impossible to stop stacking, they an only hope to contain it. Besides, people that call in for permission are not the stackers they are worried about. The world functions in the blurred area between black and white, deal with it v0rt3_x86.

NICK

When you were the owner of the company, would you have been upset if your customers knowingly and willingly stole your product with the arrogance and audacity that television customers do?

Funny you should mention that as on the Chats, Charlie used to push the ability to take your receiver to your vacation home as a selling point over cable.

*used to*

Tell ya what - Give me some acct numbers and we'll see how things go :)
And what would that prove except you can get someone's service

TERMINATED!

(shudder)

No one has argued that there are not pin-heads at Dish who live to screw with customers and that there isn't language that

FORBIDS moving customer owned equipment.

(whimper, shudder)

But rather that that "term of service" is a pile of horse sh*t to be stepped around carefully.

Not that I am encouraging any one to break the law of the state, nation or even The Lords of Echostar. We must all obey all traffic signs and be sure to only cross at cross walks when there is a illuminated green hand. And if that hand starts flashing to run as fast as we can back to the curb.

(I'm sorry folks. I couldn't resist.)