Question about Dish Service and Receivers

That's fine with me as long as I'm the brother.

Bottom line is if you do it and get caught, all receivers on your account (under some circumstances the primary is left alone) will be disabled. Moral arguments, righteous notions of capitalism and customers "fighting the power" aside. At the end of the day, you play by the services' rules, or you shouldn't be the least bit surprised when they shut you off. Charlie would, if I was Charlie I would...

The term you use to describe it is irrelevant. Theft, fraud, account stacking, packing, stolen services, misrepresentation... They really don't care in any event. You do it, they'll flip a switch and ruin your day. You can threaten to quit if they don't turn it back on, but the "audit nazis" as they're called don't care for that threat much. They're very likely to turn it off.

So the reality is you'll start problems for yourself, aggravate them, and then claim you were mistreated. It doesn't alter the fact that you were asked not to use X product in the manner you're attempting, and you're disregarding that and any consequences that may go with it. That's not self-righteous, at that point it's plain ignorant. In the time it takes for you to ask your attorney what type of "fraud" it is, Charlie will be worth another $1B.

Your point regarding law is correct; it would be civil, not criminal. However, as a business, DISH may exercise any legal authority (namely shutting you down and possibly hitting you with breach of contract) it has available as a remedy. No threat of jail time, or fines... just higher blood pressure, and no tv. In the time it takes you to attempt a mediation, Charlie's now worth an additional $1B (that's two billion so far for those keeping count.)

Pick your fights, hopefully in the future, you'll pick better ones worth the effort.

Bottom line is if you do it and get caught, all receivers on your account (under some circumstances the primary is left alone) will be disabled. Moral arguments, righteous notions of capitalism and customers "fighting the power" aside. At the end of the day, you play by the services' rules, or you shouldn't be the least bit surprised when they shut you off. Charlie would, if I was Charlie I would...

Pick your fights, hopefully in the future, you'll pick better ones worth the effort.

You just don't get it.

If I were to move my receiver and be so dumb as to tell YOU or a Dish Dilbert, Dish may quit serving me. But be clear: They are QUITTING. Nothing more.

Your silly word games mean nothing. They QUIT. Live goes on. I'd get over it.

If Dish service is so dear to you that not having it would ruin your life then do whatever you have to to make sure you don't anger them.

It's a fricking TV company. I, like a lot of people have my choice of FOUR companies now and FIVE in the near future.

Try and get some perspective. There is no "Moral arguments, righteous notions of capitalism and customers "fighting the power". It's a silly-ass TV company.

And the ultimate irony is moving my receiver does no financial harm to them. Not one cent of possible revenue is lost.

I have to stop now.

I just had a flash-back forty years to a time when I was trying to convince my son to pee-pee in the potty. His whole argument for why he wouldn't was he was said something in the toilet was going to eat his wiener. He was convinced his act would cause a horrific fate to befall his wiener.

In fact I think his actual words were "Daddy, it will Terminate my wee-wee".

Look people - if you have a 301 and go from place to place, no one (including Dish) gives two sheets.

If you have TWO 301's and only move ONE, then yes there is the risk of financial loss and therefor is enforced as account packing.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people in America whine, bitch and moan about things they don't agree with (but do nothing to change) and then think something's owed to them for their complaints.

Don't like the policy that BOTH MAJOR SATELLITE COMPANIES AS WELL AS ALL MAJOR CABLE COMPANIES ENFORCE?

Watch OTA broadcasts :).

'til then, people need to stop thinking every corporation in the world is evil. Don't you people watch SouthPark ?
South Park Episode Player

Look people - if you have a 301 and go from place to place, no one (including Dish) gives two sheets.

If you have TWO 301's and only move ONE, then yes there is the risk of financial loss .
Key word is risk of financial loss not actual financial loss.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people in America whine, bitch and moan about things they don't agree with (but do nothing to change) and then think something's owed to them for their complaints.
I'm not whining or bitching or whatever. I'm ust telling the truth. Dish wienies don't like certain things so be quiet if you do them. And for the record, if you are trying to make buck without giving Dish their due, you are a thief. Like I said most people have enough of a moral compass to tell when they are stealing and when they are not. Don't steal service.

And I don't agree or disagree about Dish policy . I just don't care. Or maybe I'm slightly annoyed there are actual people who believe they are entitled to be so intrusive into the lives of their customers.

Don't like the policy that BOTH MAJOR SATELLITE COMPANIES AS WELL AS ALL MAJOR CABLE COMPANIES ENFORCE?

Watch OTA broadcasts :).
No, just disregard the silly stuff but be aware Dish is touchy. So use judgment about whether paying for two accounts is worth reducing remote chance Dish will get pissy with you and you could have to get your TV somewhere else.
'til then, people need to stop thinking every corporation in the world is evil. Don't you people watch SouthPark ?
They're not evil... They're not good, but they certainly aren't evil. They just are. Just like a rock you stub your toe on. Be careful next time to walk around it.

South Park RULES!!! There is hope for you yet!!

Better media reference: The diner scene with Jack Nicholson from "Five Easy Pieces" Columbia 1970 (available on DVD)

Last edited:
I am totally confused

Let me see if I have this right.

Dish will allow me to take my single TV receiver with me in my RV provided I can get a signal, but I can't take it to a summer home?

If I do not have any of my receivers hooked up to a phone line how could they ever know that I had taken one to the other house? Satellite is one way communication only.

Let me see if I have this right.

Dish will allow me to take my single TV receiver with me in my RV provided I can get a signal, but I can't take it to a summer home?

If I do not have any of my receivers hooked up to a phone line how could they ever know that I had taken one to the other house? Satellite is one way communication only.
Vort's argument is not whether they can tell if you move it but that you signed a contract that forbids you from doing so. It sounds like what you're saying is "if no one is looking whats wrong with stealing stuff".

My argument is that every merchant writes pages of gobbledegook slanted TOTALLY in their favor. And that some of the things I "agreed to abide by" are silly.

But putting one of your receivers in a cabin that you let other people use, whether they pay you or not, is flat out theft of service. And I say don't steal.

But when the account holders family has four total eye balls, and they are together with one receiver anyplace in the country, Dish is being paid the agreed to amount regardless where the others are as long as there are no extraneous eye balls are looking at their output.

But finally, Dish has an audit department that exists to catch people doing things (don't be scared) FORBIDDEN by their contract. And if they catch you they will TERMINATE(shudder) service to one or all your receivers.

Bottom line: Don't steal service. But if the way you use your receivers isn't kosher according to Dish, be cool about it and be aware there could be consequences.

If you lease receivers it is pretty settled in law that the owner (Dish) has an absolute right to know where they are and can put conditions on moving them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)