Question about Dish vs FiOS

iniazi

Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Hey guys,

I want to get specific international channels (specifically 'Pak Mega Pack') from Dish Network. And as I understand it, I can just buy that without buying any other channels.

If that is the case, I have a choice of either getting dish network for the rest of the channels or FiOS (I currently have FiOS Internet + Phone). I pretty much want to get all the basic channels. And as I understand it from FiOS its only $40 or $50 more to get all their non-premium channels. Which includes their dvrs (one HD tv + one sd tv).

If I go Dish Network route, I guess I have to get their advantage dvr plus platinum HD etc which is $75. From talking to a Dishnetwork sales agent, cost on top of the international package. Do dish & fios channel lineup compare? SD vs SD and HD vs HD? I've tried to find some online guide that compares the channels side by side to see what has what. Maybe FiOS has more fluff channels?

And I understand it FiOS has better pq as far as SD goes, and HD is same or little better (most of the threads I found were from last year; so Dish might have improved their quality since then?).

But Dish has a better DVR, not sure if its worht the $30/mo premium. I figure fios isn't too bad. One thing that is not great is that fios dvr only does 20 hours of HD. But I guess I can go to the 1tb tivohd route (although I lose VOD, which I'm not even sure is all that great, or even if I would use it).

hopefully I can get this squared away tonight/tomorrow and order something tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Btw, I have 73" dlp (wd-73736), and live in southern california. Just bought the tv, and haven't had tv programming for past 7 or 8 years (other than tv shows watched online, and dvds etc. watched on the computer).

Thanks for reading/responding.

Imran

Well, I guess I'll just do fios + dish. ends up being cheaper atleast. Programming wise it seems to be similar offering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts