Question about "folders"

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I created 3 folders on the Hopper. (Movies - Hour - Half Hour)

I moved my recordings to the various folders I created and they all show, like Movies has 73 in it.

However: The recording now only have the Dish logo instead of the picture icon it had prior to the move ... is this normal? Seems to defeat the crappy icon system all by itself ... lol.

Second Q: I want to record or move something to a folder I created . I get a pop-up screen asking which folder. The top one says Hour but it is actually the Half Hour folder! The second option is blank and it is the Hour folder .... no fix for this?

To your second question, it had been a known issue since the hoppers inception. Probably not gonna see a fox anytime soon.
The first question, it's possible you see a change in The icon after another update or two. Or if the DVr can capture the information. If you move it back to no folder, does it come back with the picture?

You can so have a dish rep send a hit, and that will sometimes clear it up for you too.

I tried moving it to no folder and back again ... no change and just the Dish icon

Silly question. Did you try a hard reboot (unplug for 30-60 seconds, not a button reset) to see if that may "wake it up"? I move recordings all the time and for me I don't get this when moving.

And for the My Folders issue, welcome to the Hopper. Dish refuses to devote any developers to investigating and fixing the "phantom" folder even though they are fully aware of the issues for well over a year, and I'm sure longer (I upgraded April of 2013 and had it since then).

Reactions: DWS44
Yes ... did the power cord reboot.

Lot of exceptional features in the Hopper but the organization of the DVR is pretty bad and a lot of eye candy doesn't fix it.

I like night court for example and now have 34 icons instead of the the single icon with the #34 on it like it was on the EHDD. have to page down 3 times to get past it.

Maybe the new SW guys like pictures more than words, they are of the new age for the most part. Today in school, every kid has a damn iPad (with my $) and a calculator. Most can't do arithmetic, the oldest and most elementary branch of mathematics. Good grief don't even think about a simple fraction or making change !!

I wonder how these new generations will learn basic programming, HEX, 1000111, etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Press DVR then Green button Folders by Title. That gives you one icon per show.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes; however, then they are not sorted in "my folders" I made to sort them by movies or length. Defeats the whole concept for me. Additionally, the icon are of no practical value; example a show with say 5 recordings will give 5 icons that say exactly the same thing ... no information other than the show name so you have two more steps to ID the icon for EACH one .... worthless. It is the generation of programmers without basics and the result shows.

Just a really poorly thought out approach to "folders" IMO ... getting up there with Windows 8. Seems we take a simple and time proven system that is easy to read and informative and do everything possible to screw it up, instead of improving on it, to the point it isn't really of much value ... just looks cool like another App.

That said however, it is what it is so press on I guess.

Reactions: DWS44
Just a really poorly thought out approach to "folders" IMO

Amen! I still prefer the Hopper despite all its quirks, but sadly, the whole "folder" concept on the Hopper is nearly useless, as compared to how well they worked on the ViP DVRs. :(

Agreed, it's ashame because with a littke slight tweaking it could be tolerable. Such as group same shows together when in "my folders'" under one icon and allow you to click and drop down list of eposodes as it does with EHD, also get rid "no folder" considering "no folder" is a actual folder.

Unfortunately, Dish has pressed on, too...right past trying to solve problems. Almost 2 years for a fix to eliminate the blank folder (as well as other problems) is embarrassing. A few weeks or maybe months to find, fix, test and deploy an update is acceptable.

IMO, all they are concerned about now is making an 'acceptable' device that does have cool features and attracting as many new customers as possible. But if something goes wrong to anything other than the tuning and display of a channel (which people are really paying for) it's, meh. We'll get to it someday and they worry more about making new apps, etc... to grab new customer's attention. And the sad thing is the code is ALREADY written to display icons, icons with numbers and/or just list individual recordings as a text line item to save space but do not see how they miss the mark in not using it in other places by allowing the user to chose how they want to display their recordings.

The disappointing thing is they either do not have visionary leadership or if they do, they are not allowed (for whatever reasons) to truly develop an incredible DVR that's solid, user customizable and still user friendly.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)