This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Question about FTA and Echostar.......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilyarbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
I don't really want to shell out $100 dollars for a DVB receiver to receive only certain channels I want to get like the music channels off of Echostar satellites and the NASA channel. It had been mentioned on the forum somewhere that a deactivated Dish receiver would be able to pick up those channels that are in the clear. Looking over at Ebay, I see that some older receivers made by Echostar run cheaper than DVB receivers. My question is, how new of a receiver does it have to be to pick up those channels on Echostar satellites without being activated. Is there a year where they started with the current technology and any year prior to that would be a dead box? Also, is there certain updates that the earliest receivers have to have to be able to pick up those channels in the "clear." Notice: I do not want to illegal receive channels. I only want to be able to get those broadcasting on the Echostar satellites that are in the "clear" only and not "scrambled" or "encrypted."

As far as I know, any box that was activated before will receive the following
-Dish 101
-NASA
-Angel One
-The knockoff shopping channels
-Sports & Movie PPV Preview screens (139, 103, 450, etc)

They WILL NOT get the audio channels…yes, they are FTA, but Dish only authorizes them with the right package.
I have an old 5000 that had them all fine and dandy…until I let the damn thing upgrade to the newest software…then they go bye bye (actually, you get “smartcard not authorized”).

There are FTA boxes on Ebay for like $60 shipped…company called Middle Valley Engineering
Here is the link
https://store.middletowneng.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=c7aa9d0f49623baef43d4ce2c6b2c91b

Now $52 shipped.
I am also getting Ch. 265 - CCTV9, Ch. 402 - NBATV, and Ch. 884 - CCEF (non-english) on my unsubscribed cardless IRD. Certainly an FTA receiver is a better deal since subscribing to Dish gets you a free system anyway. And any mismatched or cancelled card would not let you get anything at all.

I know 402 is in freeview....so that's why that would be up.

But the OP wants it mostly for NASA & the audio...NASA will work but the audio ones won't

Status
Please reply by conversation.