Question about getting Cable to a TV

behrk2

Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Hey all,

I have Comcast Digital Cable. Here is my question: I have a TV in my house that I cannot get cable to - yes, I could have some one come in and fish a cable to my room, but it would be a lot of fishing at a great cost.

So, I have been looking into wireless alternatives. What I found was the RF-Link AVS-5811 5.8GHz Audio and Video Transmission System. Basically, it will transmit video/audio from out of my cable box to the reciever connected to my TV.

The only drawback is, I have to watch whatever is being watched from the source TV.

So, here is my idea, please tell me if it is feasible! I will split my incoming cable connection - one end goes into my cable box, and the other end goes into an rf modulator. Then, I hook the rf modulator up to the A/V Sender, which will transmit to my TV. I think this would work, however, I don't think I would have the ability to change channels...is this correct? If so, is there anyway to get around this obstacle?

Thanks!

It's not going to work. The RF modulator doesn't take a coax cable as an input. Even if it did, the signal bandwidth of that coax is much too large for the RF modulator to repeat. Do you have an attic that can access that room with the TV?

You could get a second cable box and then use it to RF to the other room but you will have a monthly rental on that box of about $6. Of course you would also need to add a remote RF system so you could change channels. By the time you go through all that and the expense of it, you could, and should, bite the bullet and add a new coax to that other room.

Could I go from the RF to a TV Tuner to Composite? I do have an attic but it's just completely inaccessible - filled with insulation and wooden beams to the point where you can not move around.

Could I go from the RF to a TV Tuner to Composite? I do have an attic but it's just completely inaccessible - filled with insulation and wooden beams to the point where you can not move around.

You can go from the cable coax to a TV tuner to the RF Modulator via composite and that would work. Keep in mind that it will only work on the unencrypted channels and if the TV tuner isn't digital QAM, it may not work for long because Comcast is pushing hard to go all digital to free up their own bandwidth. You would still need to get an RF remote setup to change channels from that other room.

I would spend the bucks to have an electrician run new coax to that other room. You might be surprised how easy they can do it.

or have comcast do it, it would be cheaper then a private contractor. or if you can get the cable to any room that borders the room where the tv is, then you can run it inside the house along the baseboard, and then through the wall into that room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)