question about HD

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
I was wondering what the best HD TV to get I'm looking on getting a 42 inch or so. I want something truly in HD picture if possible.

Thanks,
Chris

Personally, I recommend the 1080p panasonic plasma (there are several different models in the line).

IMO, it is the best bang for the buck, as well as giving excellent picture quality.

What kind of room conditions do you have? Light or dark? Is the light controllable?

Don't forget that you need more than just an HD TV in order to get "something truly in HD". Almost any HD TV today can deliver a very high quality picture if your source can provide it. And that's where the fun begins.

"HD Lite" is still the order of the day for most sat. and cable system deliveries due to the compression and bit starving. You'll get a truly stunning HD picture from most Blu-ray disks but there is even variability there. IMHO, the very best HD picture quality I get is with an over the air antenna tuned to my local PBS channel in prime time. Most BDs are close, even most of my HD DVDs! What I receive via sat. is usually "soft" in comparison even with the system set at 1080i. (I have never tried any of the PPV 1080p movies that are available, so in fairness on-par quality might be available by satellite...at additional cost, of course...)

Make sure your TV can accept all of 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, and make sure it has full 1920 x 1080 native resolution. (Lotsa debate on this latter characteristic, set size and distance also being contributing factors.)

Last edited:
Right now I have a Sylvania 32 Flat Screen HDTV. And I have Dish Network System. I do have a Blu Ray DVD player also. I got the TV 3 years ago.

Consumer Electronic Installers and Integrators

New Blu Ray - Older Audio System

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)