Question about Hopper please...

Stealth97

Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Los Angeles
I would like to confirm something and was hoping someone here would be able to answer my question. I have only two TVs and will be getting a hopper and one Joey. Since the hopper has three tuners, will it be possible for me to record three shows at once even though I only have two TVs? Also, will I be able to record a show on the hopper and then decide to watch another show by just changing the tuner on the same TV?
I currently have a VIP 722 and those two functions I just asked about are not possible, since I only have two TVs. I am currently limited to only record two shows at once. Also, if I'm recording a show on one TV I cannot watch another show on that same TV. I'm hoping the hopper changes this. Thank you!

Thank you!! Quick follow-up question. On my current DVR, changing the channels takes forever. There is a three to 5 second delay before the picture finally comes up. I heard that the hopper is much quicker. Is this true? I would just like to be able to change a channel and it pop up immediately. I also heard that the hopper with Sling is quicker. Is there much of a difference in speed between the two? I'm trying to decide which one to get. I'm not sure if I will use my iPAD to watch shows, so I'm trying to figure out what Other advantages the hopper with sling has. Maybe the built in wifi? Thank you again!

Thank you!! Quick follow-up question. On my current DVR, changing the channels takes forever. There is a three to 5 second delay before the picture finally comes up. I heard that the hopper is much quicker. Is this true? I would just like to be able to change a channel and it pop up immediately. I also heard that the hopper with Sling is quicker. Is there much of a difference in speed between the two? I'm trying to decide which one to get. I'm not sure if I will use my iPAD to watch shows, so I'm trying to figure out what Other advantages the hopper with sling has. Maybe the built in wifi? Thank you again!
No digital satellite receiver will do what you're asking as far as I know. It's not the fact that it's a DVR. It's the communication between the box and the LNB's. It takes a couple of seconds to switch channels on both my Hopper 2000 and my Hopper w/Sling. I haven't timed them, however.

My Hoppers and 722k have about the same delay between channel changes, which for digital satellite isn't all that bad.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

ATSC is inherently a bit slower than analog NTSC. Analog sent all the information, all the time. Digital sends only that portion of the frame that changed, so there are points where you must wait for the picture info. But not 3+ seconds.

ATSC is inherently a bit slower than analog NTSC. Analog sent all the information, all the time. Digital sends only that portion of the frame that changed, so there are points where you must wait for the picture info. But not 3+ seconds.

If you're talking about my post, I made a point to tune to another satellite so the switches had to be realigned. There's more to it that just getting the data package necessary to display a picture.

Can I record two shows?

On the Hopper you have three tuners, or two plus PTAT.
That means you can record 3 shows or 6 during prime time.
It has nothing to do with how many TVs you have.
The Hopper will display to 1 TV (normally). You can watch any prerecorded show, currently recording show, pr live TV if there is an available tuner for the channel you want to watch.
The Joey connects through the node to the Hopper and displays on one TV. It can display the same content mentioned above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)