question about interference and future purchase

Dirtgrey

Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I have a question maybe someone can help. I had Dish Network for a couple of years and recently purchased a very nice HD compatible tv. My dish receiver still is a model 301. I have always had a minor picture quality issue. I get faint angled bands of spots running through the pictures. This did not change with the purchase of the new tv.

I dropped Dish Network and went to Voom for the HD broadcasting. By the way, is you have seen HDTV once, you will never turn back happily, simply a fantastic picture to say the least. Anyway, those irritating spotted bands went away in the Voom picture.

Though I enjoyed Voom a lot, Dish Network just recently opened up local channel broadcasts in my area and to keep my wife happy, we dropped Voom and came back to Dish Network for those local channels. And again, back come those spotted bands again on my picture.

I will be investing shortly in a model 811 receiver to get the limited HD broadcasts that Dish Network provides (Hopefully, they will be expanding their HD offering). I am making a big assumtion here, but am I correct in thinking the model 301 maybe subject to TI interference? Possibly the Voom receiver had some appropriate filters built in and the reason for near perfect picture quality. And with that said, does the model 811 contain better filters appropriate to help clean up possible interference problems?

If I am going to see the same poor picture quality as I currently have, there would be no point in upgrading to the 811 and add an extra $10.95 a month for Dish Network's HD package.

Can anyone help?
Jeff

I suspect that the problem was in your model 301 and not the Dish system (satellites) - if the system had the type of problem that you describe, do you think that Dish would have the number of customers that it has? I have an an old model 4900 and the picture has always been spot on. I now have an 811 on my Mitsubishi hdtv (55") and can say the HD picture is outstanding. The OTA HD picture is about 98% as good as the one from the TV's built in tuner. I can't put my finger on the difference but there is one. So go for one of their deals - if you pay more than $150 for the 811 you paid too much! And if you work them a little, by saying that you have Voom and you're willing to change back to Dish, you might get a better deal!

Good Luck

Regards

I do appreciate your response. You are probably right, the problem has always been my 301 receiver. I just wanted to someone else's opinion. Though I read a lot in here about 811 problems, I am hoping they are very isulated.

I have tried with Dish Network for a discount on the 811 without any luck. There is always ebay or an authorized dealer over the web.

Thanks again.

be aware if you canceled voom, they will keep charging you two months after you have canceled.. this happened to me.. and i have yet to see a refund come back to me... and its been sence june..

replace 2 dual lnbfs with a quad?

Pixelization and freezing picture

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)