question about item on my bill

hclarkjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
PA
what is DVR service that is listed as $6? is that the charge for my 722 which is supposed to be free? was not on bill before

Yes it is a charge for having DVRs on your account. The 722 is no longer free as of Feb.1st, the only free DVRs are 501 & 508.

Yes it is a charge for having DVRs on your account. The 722 is no longer free as of Feb.1st, the only free DVRs are 501 & 508.
Not exactly, Boba. Most expensive, ie 722 (first) or only receiver is free.

i contacted dish about it, my contract when i signed up was for a free DVR now i am being told it is not free.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me a moment to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Hello Harry.
harry clark: hi
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: The DVR/Locals Bundle package is no longer available. This was part of a special promotion that we extended to our most valued customers.
This promotional offer expired on January 31st. Your DVR Service fee is now listed separately on your bill (resulting in a $1 increase).
This helps us to be more consistent with our customers and simplify our billing.

harry clark: ok, so my contract when i signed up for dish included a free DVR. that is no longer in effect then?
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: You were always charged this fee.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: We used to charge you with the package.
harry clark: why was i charged for something that i was supposed to be getting free?
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: If you check your previous statements you will notice that we have charged you $67.99 for America's Top 250 package with locals and DVR service fee.
harry clark: so that 2 year contract i signed is no longer in effect then?
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: You have a DVR receiver and there will be a DVR service fee for the receiver.
harry clark: i see, so that means i no longer have the time remaining on my commitment?
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Let me check this for you.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Can I verify the last 4 digits of your social?
harry clark: 6552
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Thank you.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Your 24 month contract will expire on 12/16/2010.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: May I know the reason why you wish to know about the contract?
harry clark: according to what you just told me they are\have been charging me for my reciever which was supposed to be free. i am thinking about switching to direct tv is the reason i am asking
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Please understand that there is charge for DVR service fee for all customers if they have DVR receiver on the account. It is $6.00 per month. Even DirecTV charges $7.00 per month.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: If you wish you can also check this with any one.
harry clark: then why was it advertised as being free with 2 year commitment?
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: May I know where it is mentioned that DVR service is free?
harry clark: it was the DVR package i signed up when i signed up, check your promotion records. it ran most of 2008 towards the end of the year when i signed up
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Please understand that the promotion includes the DVR service fee.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Please understand that we charge all our customers for this fee.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: We never informed any customer that this is free.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: I can assure you on that.
harry clark: sorry, i need this escalated to higher level. i want my contracted voided so that i am free to choose another provider is i want to
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: If you check your contact you will realize that the charge is clearly mentioned.
(03hy) Shaun C. VC9: Please check your contract to make sure if we have voided the contract.
harry clark: sorry it was advertised as free, please escalate this to higher level
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

They are not charging you for your receiver. Your first receiver is free as with any package. Under the old DVR Advantage package, the DVR fee was rolled into the price of the package for that receiver. That package is no longer available. Dish is now charging all acounts that have a DVR the $6 fee. It used to be waived if you had AEP. Not anymore. The rep you spoke to is correct. Directv's DVR fee is $7 per account. PLus the equivalent package is more with D*.

Dish reserves the right to make changes in its programming and fees whether any of us like it or not. It is part of the contract that you signed. At no time did they ever guarantee that you would be paying the same price over the length of your contract. A $1 increase in your biil is not bad. You could have a $13-$50 increase per month like many of us here that have/had AEP and multiple DVR's. You are always free to change providers, but you will incur a penalty for the remainder of your contract (which has also increased). D* does the same thing. Good luck.

S~

...harry clark: sorry, i need this escalated to higher level. i want my contracted voided so that i am free to choose another provider is i want to ...

Good luck with that. If you pay the cancellation fee then you are FREE to go anywhere you want.

AT250 is 57.99. with locals and dvr it was 67.99. that works out to 57.99 plus 5 for locals and 5 for dvr. The current price for AT250 with locals is 62.99. so you pay 62.99 plus 6 for dvr, or a total of 68.99. Think of it as a $1 increase on your 250 dvr locals bundle pack. I doubt they'll void the contract and I doubt you'd have any kind of claim in court.

Your price went up a dollar. Directv's price on dvr went up a dollar (maybe 2, not really sure). Your contract is up in 10 months. If this really sours things for you, then just eat the total $10 increase over the life of your contract that you are experiencing and then move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)