Question about Logo burn in on new HD channels

ronalr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Baltimore, MD
The new HD channels all have the annoying logo in the right hand bottom corner, Besides being annoying how long does it take for it to burn in on a plasma tv I have the 50 in" Panasonic TH-50PX.
Thanks
Ron

Thanks Cylcone, so if I change the channel say after watching 2 hours and I watch a different channel with a logo does the 4 hours start again for the different logo? Just wondering, I like the Voom channels they take the logo on and off, don't mind that. I have been told that if you have a burn in, that it will go away if the TV is off for a number of hours, is this true?
Thanks, Ron

Well I have an old 60 inch projection that still has the Fox News Logo burned into the bottom corner since the 2000 election. After numerous threatening letters they finally changed to a moving logo..

I really hate these channels that seem to think that we can't remember who we are watching if they take their logo off the screen.

My 42 in plasma hasn't gotten burned yet, but I am a surfer so unless some big event that keeps me tied to one channel comes along, I may be safe for a while..

My 120 inch screen is probably safe.. :)

I have been told that if you have a burn in, that it will go away if the TV is off for a number of hours, is this true?
Thanks, Ron

Persistent Image problems are not as common for LCD and when they occur can usually be corrected.

Plasma, not so much.

I have been told that if you have a burn in, that it will go away if the TV is off for a number of hours, is this true?
Once an image burns in, the only way to make it less noticeable is to burn the rest of the screen to compensate. Burn-in doesn't go away.

Note that burn-in should only be a concern for CRT and plasma displays. I've heard salesmen talk about LCD temporarily burning in, but I think they were just trying to protect their big plasma commissions.

So there is no concern for burn in with DLP TV's ??

Plasma is a definite concern although there is progress toward making it less likely.

LCD does not "burn-in" but can suffer from Persistent Image, but that can usually be corrected if it ever happens.

DLP has no such problems. It does exhibit the "Rainbow Effect" for a few people though.

I have a Panasonic plasma. Relatively new. (about 6 months old.... MAYBE....) The new panny and pioneer plasmas are VERY resistant to burn-in. In a test, an independent agency left something like... the login screen to Half Life on screen for 48 hours. Like as if you started something and then had to leave for the weekend! .... after 48 hours there was a noticeable image retention but after 24 hours of normal TV viewing there was no discernible image to be found. Almost like they are self healing to a certain extent.

So pop in a DVD once in a while and play it. Or leave some SD channel or non-logoed channel on screen while you clean the house or go grocery shopping.

I'll take a look at the logo you're talking about when I get home. But what I've found so far is that there are a couple kinds of logos. Some are translucent and the edges are not high contrast (in other words they don't have like a black line around them to outline them or anything). Those are very UNlikely to be a burn-in problem. Some are opaque (rare to find these any more) and stationary. Those could be more of an issue, but again, newer plasma screens .... the higher quality ones like panasonic and pioneer, have made a lot of improvements in terms of avoiding screen burn.

The first 200 hours are the most important on a plasma. Keep your contrast and brightness down and run a wide range of widescreen content on it during that time.

The better manufacturers have made big improvements with their plasmas including better phosphors and gas in the pixel cells. Some companies claim that their burn-in resistance is now comparable to CRT tvs.

Under most typical circumstances, you should be able to enjoy whatever technology you want!

Thanks Cylcone, so if I change the channel say after watching 2 hours and I watch a different channel with a logo does the 4 hours start again for the different logo? Just wondering, I like the Voom channels they take the logo on and off, don't mind that. I have been told that if you have a burn in, that it will go away if the TV is off for a number of hours, is this true?
Thanks, Ron
Well, I was teasing, its going to be much more than 4 hours. But you do want to vary content and avoid constant black "Pillars" on the sides the screen.

LCD does not "burn-in" but can suffer from Persistent Image, but that can usually be corrected if it ever happens.

From someone who experienced this with where the black vertical bars for 4:3 stations (I hate stretching) started, I had a line on each side that could be seen all the time. It drove me nuts.

I then started stretching everything, which I still hate but I do it anyways, and the line has finally fading after about 6 months or so.

So it's a slow process if you do get Persistent Image to get it removed, and I'd assume you would not want to go back to that station for a while if it was a logo which would really stink. But I'd imagine this would be very hard to do with a logo unless you left it on there constantly every day and never switched channels.

I didn't have any HD going into that TV at the time, so everything I watched was in 4:3. Thank goodness there is so much more HD out there now and I just got my new 622 installed on it in the bedroom last Saturday.

So that's my experiences with LCD Image Persistentcy.