Question about "moving" and Primetime Anytime

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, I'm getting Dish Network installed on July 1st. I plan to "move" to North Mankato, MN from my actual location at Rochester, MN the very next day (the 2nd). I am getting the Hopper 3 and planning to have Primetime Anytime enabled. Now the North Mankato location gets both Minneapolis, MN market and Mankato, MN market (which only has two stations plus national PBS). But I worry that with PTAT enabled will it record from the two stations (CBS and Fox) from the Mankato market (which is only in SD), or will it record from the stations in the Minneapolis market for those two channels? (They are obviously HD in the Minneapolis market.) I know I would prefer it to record from Minneapolis anyways, but I definitely don't want to choose the stations that are SD only. If it's only going to record the SD ones then I'll just "move" to somewhere else that only gets Minneapolis. But I'd like you guys' feedback before I "move" on July 2nd.

Okay, I'm getting Dish Network installed on July 1st. I plan to "move" to North Mankato, MN from my actual location at Rochester, MN the very next day (the 2nd). I am getting the Hopper 3 and planning to have Primetime Anytime enabled. Now the North Mankato location gets both Minneapolis, MN market and Mankato, MN market (which only has two stations plus national PBS). But I worry that with PTAT enabled will it record from the two stations (CBS and Fox) from the Mankato market (which is only in SD), or will it record from the stations in the Minneapolis market for those two channels? (They are obviously HD in the Minneapolis market.) I know I would prefer it to record from Minneapolis anyways, but I definitely don't want to choose the stations that are SD only. If it's only going to record the SD ones then I'll just "move" to somewhere else that only gets Minneapolis. But I'd like you guys' feedback before I "move" on July 2nd.

I don’t know about PTAT, but if there are specific prime time shows you want
recorded only on a certain channel, you can definitely do that. I have my real locals using the OTA adapter and then my “moved” locals with dish. I set shows like The Simpsons to record only on the OTA station. So that’s one possible workaround.

I don’t know about PTAT, but if there are specific prime time shows you want
recorded only on a certain channel, you can definitely do that. I have my real locals using the OTA adapter and then my “moved” locals with dish. I set shows like The Simpsons to record only on the OTA station. So that’s one possible workaround.
I suppose I could do that if somehow my PTAT chooses to record on the SD ones and then “move” to a Minneapolis only market a month later if that happens to be the case. But right now I’ll just keep it as North Mankato, MN as my “moving” location.

I suppose I could do that if somehow my PTAT chooses to record on the SD ones and then “move” to a Minneapolis only market a month later if that happens to be the case. But right now I’ll just keep it as North Mankato, MN as my “moving” location.

I don’t think you have to “move” to Mpls-only at all; I apologize if I wasn’t clear. Just find the shows you want to record and set them to only record on the HD channel(s). That simple :)

I don’t think you have to “move” to Mpls-only at all; I apologize if I wasn’t clear. Just find the shows you want to record and set them to only record on the HD channel(s). That simple :)
I understood you fine. I just want the PTAT to record on the HD channels because I want to use auto-hop on those channels. (Yes I know auto-hop can take several days to appear on certain channels.) That's why I stated I'll "move" to North Mankato first and see what happens with PTAT and take it from there. Plus PTAT only takes one tuner.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I understood you fine. I just want the PTAT to record on the HD channels because I want to use auto-hop on those channels. (Yes I know auto-hop can take several days to appear on certain channels.) That's why I stated I'll "move" to North Mankato first and see what happens with PTAT and take it from there. Plus PTAT only takes one tuner.
Actually I have an even better idea. I will just “move” to North Mankato and if the PTAT happens to record the Mankato SD ones I could just deselect them from my guide. And when I want to watch them again I can just reselect them.

The four networks record using a single tuner 24/7 whether you use PTAT on not. Auto hop just requires that PTAT be enabled so all you need is PTAT on for one network one day a week. ( I set my PTAT to record FOX on Saturday because I don't watch anything on FOX Saturday.)

Just use normal DVR timers to record just the shows you want is the best way to record.

As long as PTAT is enabled (and as suggested above, it can be enabled for only the bare minimum if you wish) then auto-hop will work for any prime time network shows, regardless of what channel they were recorded from. In-market locals, SV locals, OTA locals, distant networks, even cable channels that show repeats of a show that originally aired in prime time on a broadcast network, would all get auto-hop as long as your in-market station aired that show in prime time that week.

It sounds like the in-market channels for Mankato are only carried in SD. If that is the case, then the transponder with the SD locals would be recorded by PTAT for all four networks. If you get those networks OTA, the best bet may be to schedule as many of those timers as possible for the OTA channels, and only use PTAT to help resolve conflicts.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)