Question about new satellites and future HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

juancholopez

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Hi. This is my first post here so please bear with me :)

I currently have an 18inch dish aimed at the 101 sat using a chimney mount. I tried updating to the new 5lnb dish, but according to the DirecTV installer the chimney location does not have a clear view to the birds (not sure why as signal strength on my 18inch is more than 90 in every transponder...) and because it is possibly not sturdy enough to hold the new bigger dish, so he would not replace the dish. I can not install the dish on top of the roof because my landlord wont let me.

My question is this: since the new birds will be fairly close to sat 101, if I were to keep my existing 18" dish and simply replace my current dual lnb with the special ku/ka lnb included in the first generation of 5lnb dishes (AT9), would I be able to receive signal from the 3 satellites (99, 101, 103)? I know I would be missing sats 110 and 119, but at least I would have access to the new HD offering once the new birds are launched?
If the 18" dish will not do it, would one of the smaller multisatellite dishes (like the latest 3 sat dish) coupled with the ka/ku lnb do the job?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hi. This is my first post here so please bear with me :)

I currently have an 18inch dish aimed at the 101 sat using a chimney mount. I tried updating to the new 5lnb dish, but according to the DirecTV installer the chimney location does not have a clear view to the birds (not sure why as signal strength on my 18inch is more than 90 in every transponder...) and because it is possibly not sturdy enough to hold the new bigger dish, so he would not replace the dish. I can not install the dish on top of the roof because my landlord wont let me.

My question is this: since the new birds will be fairly close to sat 101, if I were to keep my existing 18" dish and simply replace my current dual lnb with the special ku/ka lnb included in the first generation of 5lnb dishes (AT9), would I be able to receive signal from the 3 satellites (99, 101, 103)? I know I would be missing sats 110 and 119, but at least I would have access to the new HD offering once the new birds are launched?
If the 18" dish will not do it, would one of the smaller multisatellite dishes (like the latest 3 sat dish) coupled with the ka/ku lnb do the job?

Thanks for any input.

Due to the shape of the two different 5 lnb dishes, I don't think any other dish will work. Also, the post for the new dishes is 2", the old ones are smaller, something like 1 5/8". You might be able to mount the new dish to the chimney, but you need to install the small monopoles, which are "outrigger" stabilizer poles. They are needed because the dish is heavier than the older ones. If you can install it there, and there is a clear view on each side of the 101 sat, then you would be able to get all of the new hd channels when they come out. There are some at 110 and 119 that you would miss out on. Check here to see what they are:http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/ Just click on the 110 and 119 links for the Directv satellites. Good luck!

You'll be happier if you find a location where you can do a pole mount, that way anything needing to be done can be done from the ground.
I don't know where you live, but I was thinking about bad snow storms and getting on the roof to clean it off.

Jimbo

You'll be happier if you find a location where you can do a pole mount, that way anything needing to be done can be done from the ground.
I don't know where you live, but I was thinking about bad snow storms and getting on the roof to clean it off.

Jimbo

Also, the installer should prefer a pole mount, since there are no monopoles to install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)