Question about new V 54 remotes

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have a projector and do not want the remote to turn it on/off since it only has one button. The v 52 had two buttons.

I want the volume and mute to control my AVR audio.
I would like the source to also control the AVR source.

Can the diamond buttons control my projector on/off or the Roku on/off?

The guide I got with the remotes is pretty skimpy.

Thanks

Would I use the remote for the AVR to tell the v54 remote input button to select the input function on the AVR?

If you use the learning function, you can program any button to send whatever command you want, as long as the other device has an infrared remote that the 54.0 remote can learn from.
Good luck with that. I have never been able to get any of the remotes to learn anything since the Carbon interface was released. They act like they are learning but the new learned functions do not work.

Reactions: HipKat
Good luck with that. I have never been able to get any of the remotes to learn anything since the Carbon interface was released. They act like they are learning but the new learned functions do not work.
Well, I successfully used the learning function to program a 54.0 remote to control my old Trutech TV after I couldn't find a code that work. I even used the learning function on a second 54.0 remote to copy those commands from the first 54.0 to the second one. This was with a Hopper Duo. So, YMMV.

If you use the learning function, you can program any button to send whatever command you want, as long as the other device has an infrared remote that the 54.0 remote can learn from.

I don't see how to do this actually. I don't see a way for example let's program the back button on the v54 remote to turn my TV power off by learning the code.

I do no see any option to tell it which button to program other than the ones offered.

How to do this if it is actually possible?

But -- so far I will say this new v 54 remote is a total piece of chit.
Seems someone decided to have a clever 5 minute timer to turn off the receiver. The TV screen instant off and if by accident the receiver is sent to another page accidentally like the DVR for example then there it will sit forever. Whoever came up with this is still smelling something funky on their nose -- that is really, really stupid. And, after all these years so it really can not be needed.

I don't see how to do this actually. I don't see a way for example let's program the back button on the v54 remote to turn my TV power off by learning the code.

I do no see any option to tell it which button to program other than the ones offered.

Home > Menu > Settings > Remote Control
Then, select the device you wish to program (TV for example)
Select "Teach Commands"
Follow the on-screen instructions.

I already used Learning on mine, so the options I see are "Add Commands" and "Clean Slate." I really don't want to un-program my remote to go through the Learning steps again, so I hope this helps get you started.

Thanks but that was not the question. You previously said ANY button on the remote can be programed to learn a new code. The other pre-set buttons I understand that. But I wanted in my first post to reprogram the input button for my AVR.

So the "new" question is -- can only the Dish designated buttons be programmed or can any/all of them?

Thanks but that was not the question. You previously said ANY button on the remote can be programed to learn a new code. The other pre-set buttons I understand that. But I wanted in my first post to reprogram the input button for my AVR.

So the "new" question is -- can only the Dish designated buttons be programmed or can any/all of them?
Okay, I selected "Add Commands" to bring up the on-screen instructions. Here is the text on screen:

"Position your remote controls on a flat surface as shown.

[It shows a picture with the 54.0 remote and another device's remote facing each other, about 4 inches apart.]

On your DISH remote control, press the button you want to program.

On your Auxiliary Device's original remote control, press and hold the button you want your DISH remote control to learn until the DISH remote control's Auxiliary Device mode button blinks.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each command you want your DISH remote control to learn.

Exit. To save commands, press the SAT button on your DISH remote control. To exit without saving, do not press buttons on either remote control for at least 20 seconds."

Keep in mind that after you program the buttons, you would have to press the AUX button on the side of the remote to actually use the learned functions. If you are trying to change what the buttons do when the remote is in SAT mode, that is not what the Learning function is for.

But -- so far I will say this new v 54 remote is a total piece of chit.
Seems someone decided to have a clever 5 minute timer to turn off the receiver. The TV screen instant off and if by accident the receiver is sent to another page accidentally like the DVR for example then there it will sit forever. Whoever came up with this is still smelling something funky on their nose -- that is really, really stupid. And, after all these years so it really can not be needed.
What do you have ? Hopper 3 or HWS. I have HWS and I press the command audio button and say turn off and it turns off. No 5 minute timer or anything.

Reactions: pattykay
@HS ... I have a Hopper 3

crodrules ... does not work, or mine doesn't , or I am dumb as a rock (very possible!).

To get to the screen that gives the option to learn you can only do so with the TV or the AUX functions. NONE of the diamond buttons allow this. Right there is the first problem. OK, we will try to trick it then ... no dice.

Select TV (I think that is what you are Doing). Now you get to the ADD Commands (that is the key - we are adding not replacing). Learn, etc. Now press any button you like on the Dish remote and then the one you want learned on the other remote. All done.

If it works at all it will ADD the command to the TV function but it will not replace the command with the new one. Had you selected the Aux function instead it would add it there instead.

Mine will not allow me to change the diamond buttons or any others. The diamond button on mine are fixed to what Dish has decided is good for us.

Between the moronic 5 minute delay and now the virtually worthless customization buttons the new and exciting v54 remains a POS. However, the back-light is quite nice ... lol.

I will be happy to admit my ignorance if anyone can tell me how to accomplish this. Otherwise I have 5 new shinny v54 remotes for sale.

You CANNOT learn any new function to a button when the remote is controlling the DISH receiver. You can only program the buttons in TV or AUX mode.
If it will even work to learn anything. It doen't work for me. (it acts like it does but it doesn't)

Yes, I programmed every button on the face of the remote (I don't remember if I programmed the Input button) to control my TV, including both diamond buttons. To use the function for the TV, I have to press the TV mode button, then the diamond button.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, I programmed every button on the face of the remote (I don't remember if I programmed the Input button) to control my TV, including both diamond buttons. To use the function for the TV, I have to press the TV mode button, then the diamond button.

Well you have got one brilliant remote and I got the bad ones.

Maybe they changed the firmware don't know but I'm done with these I think.

Thank you much for trying to assist.

@HS ... I have a Hopper 3

crodrules ... does not work, or mine doesn't , or I am dumb as a rock (very possible!).

To get to the screen that gives the option to learn you can only do so with the TV or the AUX functions. NONE of the diamond buttons allow this. Right there is the first problem. OK, we will try to trick it then ... no dice.

Select TV (I think that is what you are Doing). Now you get to the ADD Commands (that is the key - we are adding not replacing). Learn, etc. Now press any button you like on the Dish remote and then the one you want learned on the other remote. All done.

If it works at all it will ADD the command to the TV function but it will not replace the command with the new one. Had you selected the Aux function instead it would add it there instead.

Mine will not allow me to change the diamond buttons or any others. The diamond button on mine are fixed to what Dish has decided is good for us.

Between the moronic 5 minute delay and now the virtually worthless customization buttons the new and exciting v54 remains a POS. However, the back-light is quite nice ... lol.

I will be happy to admit my ignorance if anyone can tell me how to accomplish this. Otherwise I have 5 new shinny v54 remotes for sale.
Like I said I press that little button in the right hand corner that looks like a microphone and say turn off and my hopper 2 with sling turns off, no delay just like with my old 40.0 remote did. Your Hopper 3 may have a delay when you turn it off as a default mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)